The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-05-2001, 10:06 AM

Post 1996 514CSL

The guitar is a 1996 514CSL. From what I've been able to find out, this is a limited edition 514C made for Guitar Center (and we thought GC never did anything right...). It has unusual position marker inlays and a "torch" inlay on the headstock that is more "geometrical" than the torch logo used on the K series (and this forum). It's got The sharp cutaway (florentine?) that was standard for lefties back then and the Cedar/Mahogany that makes the 514C such a great fingerstyle guitar. The "E" for you Fishman lovers is left off because there was no hole in the side in 96, thankfully . The guitar is not mint (couple of small dents on the top) but if Mr. Rogers would like, I would provide pictures for the website.

So... what's it sound like? I've never owned or played a lefty 514C(E) before, but I've played right handed ones in stores. They sound warm and crisp. Very pleasing. This guitar sounds similar, but a little less crisp. I'm guessing 5 years of playing has opened it up a little and it has lost a little of the jangle that I often associate with new guitars. It's still balanced but packs a low end end warmth that my 1999 814CE just didn't have. I believe that it is the Taylor sound. Some people call it a scooped out midrange. I just like it. Granted, it's new to me, but I almost prefer it's warmth to my recently acquired Goodall mahogany/engelmann Grand Concert (for comparison think 512 ala Goodall). This may have to do with the Goodall tone, which is very rich and full of overtones, and the Grand Concert shape, which emhasizes the mids more. This 514CSL has a low end you feel and that says "warmth" to me. I'm not going to kick the Goodall, but it's nice to see a Factory guitar that can appeal to someone after owning and playing something from (argueably) one of the best makers in acoustic guitars. I have bought and sold a 312CE, 510CE, 512 and 814CE. Plus, I've tried a 314CE and 412CE. So I feel I've had a decent sampling of the company's offerings, considering I'm left-handed. This 514CSL definitely suits me the best out of all of them tried so far.

How's it play? Hey, it's a Taylor. For comparison, the Goodall is set up for 5/64" at the 12 fret (Taylor's should be 6/64"). When received, the 514CSL was way high. Probably used by a hard strummer. I lowered the saddle and straightened the neck to spec and now have it at the Goodall's height (for the fun of it. It hangs and is clean for fingerstyle and moderate strumming.

If you are one of the other 44 people who have one of these 515CS(L)'s, drop me a line and we'll compare notes.

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: PF ]
Old 03-05-2001, 10:40 AM

Cool

I saw it on ebay and it is differant. The headstock inlay is a little differant and the fretboard inlay is also differant. The sharpe floretine cutaway gives it a differant look as well. In the pictures it looked almost like it had abalone binding or was it just my imagination. Its very nice! Congrats! JW
Old 03-05-2001, 11:34 AM
Jim

Most Taylor headstock inlays are stylized versions of the letter "t".
Old 03-05-2001, 03:15 PM

JW, no ab binding. Other than the inlays, it sticks pretty close to the 500 series style for that time period.

Jim, now that you mention it, I see the "T". I thought it was a nod to the "Torch" inlays on some Martins. But I see what you mean and can believe it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification