The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Default Do I Need To Upgrade From Pro Tools 8

My M-Audio Fast Track Pro lost the left channel output to the monitor today. Looked for a replacement on the internet and it looks like it is out of production. Also, it appears that the newer versions are not compatible with Pro Tools 8. Am I correct in assuming that I will need to upgrade to Pro Tools 12?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 PM

Do yourself a favor and upgrade your interface to a Focusrite XXXXXXX whatever you want, and use whatever workstation software you like.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 PM

I was thinking about staying with Pro Tools because I already have a basic understanding of it.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM

I'm just suggesting that you upgrade your interface. Are you sure it's not a wiring problem ?? A simple loose connection could be causing your problem.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Bop View Post
I was thinking about staying with Pro Tools because I already have a basic understanding of it.
Several things need to be in alignment for a recording system to work properly. The computer, its OS, the DAW, the interface/front end, the interface's drivers (or other compliance) and plugins.

I assume your system was in alignment before the failure of your interface. One obvious solution is to replace your interface with an identical used one. Cheap and simple.

If you are going from PT 8 to PT 12 (Native) you will need to align all components. That may require a new computer, OS and plugin upgrades. It will certainly require a fair amount of research before you take any action. It will also require a new interface/front end. Fortunately, there are many good, decent and excellent choices these days.

I've been using ProTools since version 4. I'm now on 12.7.1. I've been through the alignment process a few times. It's not as difficult or cumbersome as you might first think. The trick is to learn what you need to do and what you don't need to do.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 03-11-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 PM

Swapped monitors and cables back and forth and the problem stays with the left output on the interface.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:07 PM

My system has been working for years so it is not a compatibility issue. It would save me money to stay with PT 8 but it's the version that only worked with M-Audio interfaces. I don't think the current M-Audio interfaces will work with PT 8.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Do yourself a favor and upgrade your interface to a Focusrite XXXXXXX whatever you want, and use whatever workstation software you like.
It's not that simple.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My system has been working for years so it is not a compatibility issue. It would save me money to stay with PT 8 but it's the version that only worked with M-Audio interfaces. I don't think the current M-Audio interfaces will work with PT 8.
You missed my point. And you provided new information - you have theProTools version only workable with certain MAudio interfaces. This means the only way to maintain your current system is likely to find another identical (or similar vintage) used MAudio interface.

As to moving to PT 12, you're just going to have to buy it retail as if you are a new customer. I am unaware of any upgrade discount from your current version. Again, that may (will likely?) require upgrades of other things in your system.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 AM

I will not encourage you to buy another vintage interface.

I will not encourage you to stick with a very old software program.

I will not encourage you to keep using a very old computer.

You can stick with the older stuff if you like. But the newer stuff is like 1,000 times better. I've been upgrading my system as needed over the years and am fairly up to date with most things. Ya it'll cost some money...and some time learning the new stuff. That's life.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To clarify:

Pro tools will now (since version 10) work with any brand of interface that provides PT drivers. So you are not tied to only Avid or M Audio interfaces.

Like Sdelsolray said there is no upgrade from version 8 , so to stay with Pro Tools you will have to purchase a new perpetual licence for $599/which includes one year of updates.

Now as for compatibility of PT 12 with your current computer and OS ? that depends entirely on it's specs and which OS version . On Mac it's Mavericks or newer on Windows it's 7 -64 bit ---- 8.1-64 bit or 10 64 bit .
Also 8 GB (or more ) of RAM is recommended as well as 15 GB of of disk space for installation.
System requirements are here
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-HD-12-System-Requirements?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2FDownload%2 FPro-Tools-12-7-Release-Info&popup=true

And I don't remember in which version it changed but PT also currently requires an iLok.

So a bit to consider

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:01 AM

I can see this issue either way.

Those that talk about just biting the bullet and upgrading (likely list: computer, interface, ProTools version) make valid points. You don't mention particulars, but for example you might have an older Mac that can't run newer version of MacOS. If you "stick" instead of upgrade, perhaps a few months later that Mac dies and can't get another one that will run the older version of MacOS that PT 8 will require. And there are new features in newer versions of PT that are nice to have. The ProTools user interface has some changes, but PT 12 doesn't make a PT 8 user learn everything over either.

None-the-less, I used to do this, and it worked for me for years. I just kept a computer/PT/interface that was working and "in sync" specifications-wise and used this combination for more than a decade. If you have Maudio version of Protools you need to find another (used) Maudio interface and carry on. It doesn't help you, but if you had the "regular" Protools 8 you might have access to the larger number of otherwise market-obsolete but workable Digidesign interfaces sold over the years. You might be able to find one of those with a PT 8 license on the used market too.

Currently I may be in the early years of the same thing, with my primary recording system running on an older Mac Mini, an older version of MacOS, and a current Focusrite interface. If my Mini dies, I have a spare on the shelf ready to take over.

My problem with staying current is that it's a never-ending battle. The problem with staying put is that you need to be a bit of a scrounger when something breaks.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM

I bit the bullet and purchased PT 12 and a Focusrite 18i8. I removed all the old Digidesign software. Do I need to install the Focusrite drivers before I download and activate PT 12. The PT instructions aren't clear on this.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM

You can install Pro Tools first.
Either way would work.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
My problem with staying current is that it's a never-ending battle.
It can also be a no-bottom-in-sight money pit!

I can relate, Frank. I'm still (still) happy with a full version of Cubase 6 running on a 2010 Mac Mini with OS 10.6.8, fast USB and FW external HDs, a pair of 20" Ultrasharp monitors and a decent "modern" USB interface (a Focusrite 18i8, with earlier versions of the Scarlett drivers provided by the good folks at Focusrite). I'm also happy with the many similar "antique" versions of other audio software, like Wavelab, Rx3 and too many others to name, that do the job.

There's also just so much other software, not necessarily audio related, that I'm happy with, that does the job, and would be either irreplaceable or cost so much to replace with something else more complicated than my relatively simple needs require, that I shudder to consider the consequences! Having no choice but to upgrade my old 2008 Macbook to a newer 2015 model with a new OS (without Rhapsody!), and all of the new software needed to do simple tasks like email, was a pain.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, is my motto. A corollary of that is "new is not necessarily better." Of course, in the OP's case, it is broke so it needs fixing...but if I'd gone down that path I think it would be easy to find a new "old" interface: I see M-Audio Fast Track interfaces just about weekly on the local buy-and-sell sites.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD