The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 AM

Default Cordoba Studio Guitars

I've been looking around for an easier to play nylon string with a cutaway and pickup for more crossover/flexible playing. I already have a pretty decent straight classical guitar. I thought Yamaha NTX 700 would fit the bill. I went to my local GC and tried an NTX700 and it sounded pretty bad unplugged. It did look like it had been there for a while though, as the strings were in bad shape. Then I tried the Cordoba Studio Negra next to it. I had always dismissed Cordoba in my mind as a budget Spanish brand that was trying to appeal to a larger crowd. But I was just blown away by the Studio Negra. Not only was it easy to play with a still classical feeling neck, it sounded excellent plugged in. And it sounded pretty **** good unplugged too. I wasn't 100% ready to make the next purchase, so I didn't get it, but I'm regretting that already.

How does the GK Studio compare to the GK Pro? I'd be curious to hear from those who have heard both side by side, or upgraded to the Pro.

Last edited by John_t; 03-27-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:57 AM

your experience with the Yamaha was the same as mine... I had GC change strings on a few and it didn't help them acoustically.

My initial Cordoba was the GK Studio with the cypress sides and back... Loved it. After owning it for about 6 months, I upgraded to the GK Pro Negra with EIR sides and back.

There are a lot of subtle improvements when moving from the Studio to the Pro (Luthier series). Starting with the overall workmanship inside and out in the Pro is better.

The tuning machines are much better quality in the Pro than the Studio. They move much smoother. The Fishman amplification system is dramatically better in the Pro.

For my personal tastes, the $$ upgrade to solid wood was a good choice.

Bottom line is that it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Ditto to DKStott's comments. I've had twelve Cordoba instruments now (13 if you count one of my GK Pro negras that I returned to MF because of un-disclosed damage). I started with a Studio blanca and then went from there. Acoustically, the Cordobas just kill the Yamaha NTX series hands-down. The Studios are great, but the Pros are better. All solid woods, better fit&finish, and a vastly superior sounding electronics/pickup system. But I still think highly of the Studios and have considered buying another (probably an Ltd ziricote) just to have around. My initial Studio blanca was impressive enough to make me sell my beloved $4K Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova and pick up my first Pro blanca.

I currently have a Pro negra, Pro blanca, and F10 (as well as two Minis). They are wonderful instruments that I play every day and gig.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

My Studio Negra has been gigged heavily for a couple years. It sounds great, both acoustically and plugged in, and has held up very well. I did an album with it and it records well too.

https://johnwilliams.hearnow.com/relaxing-guitar

It has also spent two summers on a boat with no problem.

Maybe I'll look into a Pro.

Last edited by JohnDWilliams; 03-28-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
My Studio Negra has been gigged heavily for a couple years. It sounds great, both acoustically and plugged in, and has held up very well. I did an album with it and it records well too.

https://johnwilliams.hearnow.com/relaxing-guitar

It has also spent two summers on a boat with no problem.

Maybe I'll look into a Pro.
Your tone and playing sounds nice John. Very relaxing indeed. Your material would go very well in a massage therapy office/spa.

Sounds like you write in an open tuning? Maybe open D?

Must be strange being an guitar player/entertainer having the same name as both a legendary classical guitarist, as well as legendary film composer who's a household name. My name is a household name in alcohol -- which was awesome during my decades gigging bars and clubs in rock and country bands. It's a little less awesome gigging my own latin acoustic stuff, but definitely still easily remembered by the patrons.

Btw... we do share the same initials.

Last edited by Red_Label; 03-29-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments J.W.

It's all standard tuning with a Thalia partial capo.

Great anecdote about your name. I have pretty good sales online with several albums and I often wonder if it's because of name mis-recognition.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 AM

Very nice and thanks for the responses. Looks like there are 2 versions of each of the studio and the pro models. I may have to sell another guitar (shivers) to be able to afford the pro. Looking into a used studio negra for $450 on CL...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical