The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Online Home Recording Class?

Is there such a thing as an online home recording class? I'm trying to improve my recording techniques but I'm struggling to figure out how. I read things about 'room effects', 'boxy', 'muddy', etc but I don't really know what that means. I mean, I understand that the room acoustics affects the recording but how can I listen to a recording and know what to change? Do I just want to muffle everything?

I've read articles and books but it's just not doing it for me without HEARING everything. In the perfect world, there would online examples of a bunch of common home recording 'issues.' For example, there would be a recording made in a crappy room, close mic'ed in a crappy room, and then in an acoustically treated room. It would then be great to hear a 'typical' recording and examples of how to hear common problems and then how to fix them.

It would be great to get those examples with some EQ changes too. Now, I know I can just play with the EQ on my DAW (Audacity) and just hear what can change but when you start layering reverb, compression, whatever else everyone does, I get lost pretty quick. Then there's different mics, mic placement, phase issues, etc. Conceptually, I understand those items but give me a recording, I'd have no idea how to describe what I think is wrong and no idea how to go about correcting it.

Anyone know of something like this? Is that too much to ask?

Last edited by RedJoker; 03-16-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:45 PM

I'm actually interested in the same type of thing. Somewhere I could go, actually, and connect the dots. I have some typical project studio equipment, like so many of us, but am not getting what I think is possible out of it.

Not some month long class, but something over a weekend say, with a small student count. I'd happily consider something like that.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:49 PM

There are great You Tube channels. Try recording revolution - everything you want to know about compression and eq and much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Lynda.com has some good classes, though they may not be free. I'm sure YouTube has tons of content, as well.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha - Check Out Apple's '1-to-1' Training Programs

Aloha,

Today's home recording is greatly aided by being able to master the workflow of your computer DAW.

If you are using Mac's, and are in the market for a new Apple computer, then you will be eligible to take advantage of Apple's One-To-One Training Programs.

The program costs only $99 & can be carried forward into another year of training. It is a fantastic resource for home recordists.

I signed up in 2008, & received 56 individual training sessions for Logic Pro from certified Logic Pro instructors at any of the Apple stores here in Honolulu (4) - at my convenience. It made all the difference in terms of demystifying that DAW & creating short-cuts that worked within my sensibilities. They also can train you in Garageband.

I also carried it forward & did a few "tune-ups" in 2009 & 10.

Sure, the are many on-line recording video series available. Check out gearslutz.com for many choices.

But the 'One to One' program is a real winner if you're using an Apple computer for home recording. Check it out!

Finally, make sure your recording space is properly treated. That will make the most dramatic & immediate difference in the consistency of your home recordings, more than gear or techniques.

Remember, you can't really experiment effectively with miking techniques unless your space is treated. Same with maximizing your signal chain. Start there.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

Finally, make sure your recording space is properly treated. That will make the most dramatic & immediate difference in the consistency of your home recordings, more than gear or techniques.

Remember, you can't really experiment effectively with miking techniques unless your space is treated. Same with maximizing your signal chain. Start there.

alohachris
I guess that's my problem. I've worked in a sound lab so I can measure reverb times in all the frequency bands, etc but it's never been in the context of music. I know I don't want to record in a reverb chamber but I also know I don't want to record in an anechoic chamber. I don't know what's just right. Plus, each sound treatment addresses a different frequency. I guess I just want to learn why I'm doing things and how to identify and correct issues.

But I agree a treated room is always better.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:04 PM

I'll highly suggest you investigate "The Recording Revolution" offerings.

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/

It's run by Graham Cochran and there's a lot of free stuff he's made available also.

Here's some of the free video stuff Graham offers:

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/...ording-studio/
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Is there such a thing as an online home recording class? I'm trying to improve my recording techniques but I'm struggling to figure out how. I read things about 'room effects', 'boxy', 'muddy', etc but I don't really know what that means. I mean, I understand that the room acoustics affects the recording but how can I listen to a recording and know what to change? Do I just want to muffle everything?

I've read articles and books but it's just not doing it for me without HEARING everything. In the perfect world, there would online examples of a bunch of common home recording 'issues.' For example, there would be a recording made in a crappy room, close mic'ed in a crappy room, and then in an acoustically treated room. It would then be great to hear a 'typical' recording and examples of how to hear common problems and then how to fix them.

It would be great to get those examples with some EQ changes too. Now, I know I can just play with the EQ on my DAW (Audacity) and just hear what can change but when you start layering reverb, compression, whatever else everyone does, I get lost pretty quick. Then there's different mics, mic placement, phase issues, etc. Conceptually, I understand those items but give me a recording, I'd have no idea how to describe what I think is wrong and no idea how to go about correcting it.

Hey Red I see your ready for the journey
If I may , I'd like say take it slow nothing wrong with reading up watching vids but giving you a bunch of paints and a brush does not make you /me an artist. Lol

Many producers and many different results. My journey or should I say hunt started with the sound/tone I was after , by listening to players here and TTM youtube etc, learning about their instruments wood combos helped me find guitars that performed better . Once I heard in my head the tone my hands were delivering I could move on to improving my recording quality.
You can master recording but a tin can still sounds like a tin can . Lol no I'm not saying your guitar is a tin can lol but you have to be truly into your sound/tone of your instrument.
If you are then you start to move up into the other gear .
This is just my opinion of coarse baby steps .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Here's Some Answers to Some Why's, Red

Aloha Redjoker,

Here are some links answering some of the "why's" regarding Room Treatment & how to build it DIY:

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPR0q1KzqQ

Hope they help.

alohachris
Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll keep trying to learn.

On a limited music budget, I'm trying to be wise on where I spend my money. Learning is pretty cheap and has a better ROI than just about anything.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'll highly suggest you investigate "The Recording Revolution" offerings.

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/

It's run by Graham Cochran and there's a lot of free stuff he's made available also.

Here's some of the free video stuff Graham offers:

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/...ording-studio/
My wife and​ I were discussing how to improve my recordings last night and she reminded me about her walk-in closet full of sweaters. Today, I see Graham's suggestion to use a closet as a vocal booth. I can't wait to give that a try!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

You have more or less hit upon one major, if not the major issue" that all recording engineers ( pro or hobby) face ......learning the craft. The good news is there are more resources available to help than at any time . The bad news is you can still not escape the importance of the journey itself , the amount of time that must be spent in order to gain the experience.

That said there are some resources and methods that can help speed things up a bit. Along with suggestions that have been made
Another forum resource might be.
http://homerecording.com/bbs/

As well as this AGF Record subforum, posting examples of your work and asking for constructive critique.

The limited budget you mentioned is somewhat problematic in that, while it may seem like "learning is cheap" it is in reality arguably subject to the same realities as anything else, there is the very real factor that "you get what you pay for"
So it is a bit of a conundrum

One way or the other other there will be "costs" involved either in the form of monetary costs for a more formal type of audio education or "time spent costs"
At the upper end of monetary cost is where probably the most efficient (timewise ) and targeted learning resides in the formal audio education options.

Which would be online courses at places like Berklee College of Music, et. al. But these are not cheap.
Then there are the free online resources which are free but not near as targeted or efficient as per some of previous suggestions.

For room acoustics personally I would forgo the closet. IMO the simplest method is DYI portable broad absorbers 4 in. thick 2 ft by 4 ft.... on some kind of stand out of something like Corning 703 fiberglass insulation

One of things you are speaking to is "critical listening from an audio engineering standpoint".

One freebie : thing that will help immensely is having reference tracks, right in the session you are working on. This is so often overlooked and so very helpful in learning to listen critically.

Find a recording that you wish yours would sound like and import that (preferably a WAV file but an MP3 will do.. provided your DAW will convert it ) right into a stereo track in your session, so you can quickly mute and unmute to judge the sound compared to your sound.

Then try to think critically i.e. is there more high end, mid, or bass. is there more width, more presence, more detail and separation of different instruments etc. ( not just focus on one of these different elements at a time ) Like just the bass, then the mids, the high end, etc.
Looking at the entire field of audio recording is quite overwhelming, so do not try to learn it all at once. Instead break it down , focus , work on, and learn about one aspect at a time.

IMO a good order to learn is besides first nailing your performance.

#1 room acoustics particularly (how to make broadband absorbers) and then perhaps bass traps for the corners floor and ceiling intersections.

#2 mic placement

# 3 signal flow and gain staging

#4 volume riding

#5 instrument placement (for multi instrument recordings )

#5 EQ (start with subtractive EQ)

#6 Compression

Get comfortable with these befor trying to add FX

It is a lifelong pursuit and and always wanting to have it sound better and having it be not as good as you would like is an integral part of the journey. And remember it's a marathon not a sprint, so relax and remember to enjoy the journey short falls and all

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD