The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2001, 03:10 AM

Cool Martin D-76

I was in my local music store today (Saturday) and a girl came in trying to sell two Martin guitars. One was a D-28 12-string and the other was a six string, limited edition, 1976 Bi-Centennial model. I think it was built on a D-35 base but it had stars for fret markers, an eagle inlay on the headstock and a brass plaque inside on the heel block identifying it as the LE bi-centennial model which Martin named the "D-76".

Anybody ever hear of these?

The store owner looked-up the value and found it to be worth, in average condition, four thousand bucks.

That was the first I'd ever heard of a D-76.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:30 AM

Cool

First for me also, but a lot of stuff like that back in 76, so weird I was driving a Ford (well it was a 67 fairlane GT but still a Ford)hehe! JW
Old 11-05-2001, 12:54 PM

I remember when that model was introduced, but I've only actually seen one, and that was at least 20 years ago. I don't remember it being very remarkable -- not bad by any means, just not special. I haven't heard anything more about them.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:44 PM

Noflatpick -

The current market for used D-76's is more around the $2000 range. The great thing about the D-76 is that it has a lifetime warranty that is transferable to at least 1 subsequent owner. I believe that they were a limited edition with 1976 made. They are pretty much Indian rosewood D-35s. I had the opportunity to play one, and it played and sounded like a better '70's Martin D-35.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: kidcheesyriffs ]
Old 11-06-2001, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpmusic:
<STRONG>I remember when that model was introduced, but I've only actually seen one, and that was at least 20 years ago. I don't remember it being very remarkable -- not bad by any means, just not special. I haven't heard anything more about them.</STRONG>
It was a 390 with a 4 speed, while not as fast as a 396/375 SS Chevelle it held its own pretty fair with the GTOs. OHHHH were talking about the guitar? hehe! JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification