The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Default Guitar Teacher for Adult and Child in Boston

Hi all,

I live in Boston (Jamaica Plain to be exact), and I am looking for a good teacher. I've dabbled off-and-on over the last 15 years, playing chords and strumming songs. I took a semester of classical guitar in college that taught me a little bit of fingerstyle guitar, but by-and-large I would consider myself a rank beginner. I really want to progress from that point, and I feel that I would benefit from regular instruction. I also have two children who want to learn (ages 5 and 7), so I'm interested in investigating lessons for myself and my 7 year old daughter. I'll probably hold off another year or two on my 5 year old, but in the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for a good guitar teacher for adults and kids in Boston (Jamaica Plain would be even better!).

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Default I live in the Boston area

I have my first guitar lesson tonight. I am in my late 40's and never played before.

I went to my local town music shop and asked them and they offer lessons through the shop. They had a bunch of instructors associated with the shop and try to match you up with what you want to do/learn with who has availability. So you may want to check out music shops in JP and ask them.

Also for your daughter, they may offer music lessons through her school. I started mine in 4th grade, many moons ago, but I don't know if 7 years old is too young for in-school stuff. Worth asking and it may save you some money.

Doc
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I live in Newton and am trying to find a first teacher as well. I have a number of good leads but haven't scheduled a lesson with anyone yet.

These were good sources of leads:
1. A message to the parents' email list at our local elementary school got me several references.
2. A message to the discussion list of the religious organization we belong to was similarly helpful.
3. Yelp.com has reviews for various places and individual teachers, to be taken with a grain of salt.
4. Craigslist has many teachers listed. Some sound better than others.

PM me if you want more specifics. None of the leads I have are in JP. Some are in Brookline, some in Newton, some downtown, and some travel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write