The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Default Walnut + Engelmann for a nylon string?

Seeking opinions: I have a walnut steel string Taylor 714 that I enjoy very much. Does anyone have an idea about how a custom Taylor NS model would sound if made with walnut b/s and either an Engelman or Cedar top?
Thanx!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 AM

I would think it would sound like the NS4 or NS5, both of which are discontinued. If I were to go with walnut, I would probably pair it with cedar for the added warmth & complexity of overtones.

Last edited by Play2PraiseHim; 04-13-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 AM

I have an NS64c, which has an engelmann top, but maple really doesn't sound much like walnut. I think the top on these guitars makes a bigger difference than the body wood, though.

Nick
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

I think it would be an interesting combination for a nylon string guitar. Many years ago, I played a classical guitar made with a spruce top (from Germany) and South American walnut that had a good tone. The neck was also made out of walnut. If you decide to order a guitar with that combination, I sure hope you'll post pictures when you receive it and follow-up with recordings of its sound.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks for your responses. I'm not sure when I'll make the jump, but someday I'd like to get a nylon string crossover. For now, it's fun considering all the options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical