The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar do you prefer?
Martin 000-15SM 50 41.67%
Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy 10 8.33%
Taylor 322 4 3.33%
Taylor 522 13 10.83%
Taylor 522 12-fret 19 15.83%
I don't like Martin or Taylor 11 9.17%
I don't like Mahogany 13 10.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM

of the ones you listed , ( thou I'm not a big Taylor fan -but i respect them )
Id say the 500 series is a good place to start - wouldn't go lower on the food chain - many pros love the 500 series .
Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
People, quit complaining that some guitar you like isn't on the list. This is to help me decide what to get at the end of the month. I don't care if your favorite guitar isn't listed here. If you don't like it, put me on ignore and go away.
No compliants, Just best of luck in what ever your choose.
Are you a strummer or finger picker or both.

have your tried the 522 hog/cedar or hog/Spruce or are you strictly an all hog guy

I have a Furch hog/cedar combo on the way, Basicly the same as a 514 cutaway. Cedar combined with Hog i have descovered is now one of my favorite combos.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboy1 View Post
LA guitars OM-15
expand your list again
I just ordered one. Very excited!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:23 PM

So 000-15SM has a clear lead with 1/3 of the votes. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Taylor 522 12 fret as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I just ordered one. Very excited!
Congrats
You have done well grasshopper

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong
Old 10-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

My mahogany guitar is a Goodall Grand Concert with a redwood top... it is a marvelous instrument with a very characteristic warm, fat t which extends throughout the register of the guitar; even notes on the high E string, played above the 12th fret, have an unusually fat sonic aspect to them...

The mahogany brings a direct tone to the mix, although it's a far cry from "only" the fundamental note; James builds guitars that are so responsive and sensitive that there are many overtones "swimming around" in the overall sound produced. I will say that, the louder this guitar gets, the more of the fundamental tones comes through...

The only other mahogany guitar I have owned was my very first "good" acoustic, a Guild D-40 that I bought new, in 1967... spruce top and mahogany b/s... not that I even was cognizant of the woods that were in that guitar, not at the time!

You had no category for "other", so I didn't vote. It isn't that I don't like either Martin or Taylor guitars; I'm not even gonna go there!

I will say that, in my opinion, an all-mahogany guitar is far more limited in the tones it produces than a mahogany/spruce combination...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

I will say that, in my opinion, an all-mahogany guitar is far more limited in the tones it produces than a mahogany/spruce combination...
Such as the 000-17SM?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM

000-15sm is my favorite go-to guitar. Coolest looks of the bunch, too. The Jeff Tweedy is two frets too long and the others have the wrong name on the headstock.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM

I love my Taylor GC8, but if I had to get another guitar, it would be the Martin 00015sm. I love that thing. If I had the cash, I'd try to get a custom one made that actually had a a decent binding in addition to real rosette and headstock inlay as opposed to stickers. Still love that guitar though.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
People, quit complaining that some guitar you like isn't on the list. This is to help me decide what to get at the end of the month. I don't care if your favorite guitar isn't listed here. If you don't like it, put me on ignore and go away.
Oh" why didn't you say you wanted my help? I love to help people who get snippy at the slightest provocation.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM

I would get the 000-15SM (actually already have for my daughter), but with a choice I'd do one better and go for the 000-17SM.
Same sound, extra frills. Ahh. (though I don't like mahogany - as much as rosewood.)
Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I've played the Martin 000-15sm and the Taylor 322. I liked the Martin more only because that's the way my tastes are going right now. I haven't played the others however.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 AM

I recently picked up a 522e 14 fret, which I love. Especially after changing strings from the original Elixirs to Daddarios (awful) to Martin SPs (fantastic) I was amazed what a difference a string could make to this little guitar. I've used SPs on larger guitars, but on the 522 they explode. Thank you Martin. 😍
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 AM

Withholding my valuable vote, and making an effort to turn this thread in a direction through which OP will most certainly enjoy wading: How 'bout that Dolphin game? Talk about hot and cold-- I love my Fins (I'm in North Palm) but it'll be tough to watch them flounder again, as I suspect they will, when I saw what they're capable of. You think Tannehill is a Martin or Taylor guy? Mahogany? Does he even play guitar?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino View Post
Withholding my valuable vote, and making an effort to turn this thread in a direction through which OP will most certainly enjoy wading: How 'bout that Dolphin game? Talk about hot and cold-- I love my Fins (I'm in North Palm) but it'll be tough to watch them flounder again, as I suspect they will, when I saw what they're capable of. You think Tannehill is a Martin or Taylor guy? Mahogany? Does he even play guitar?
These are all interesting questions. I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion