The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Carbon guitars?

im only asking because ive seen shane & shane play the same CA guitar, but i was wondering about them... anyone like them more than wood?
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 AM

I have one, a CA dread. Do I like carbon more than wood? No, it's just different; not necessarily worse than wood. It's hard for me to compare objectively because each of my guitars is a different body shape with different back/side material. But the CA really does have a good bass thump to it, which is what the designer was apparently after (think Martin HD-28). I must say that it holds tuning very well.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:51 PM

I have a CA Bluegrass, dreadnought and a Martin OM-21 and I love both.
They are different but they are both great instruments.
(And the CA sounds like a wood guitar).

Gerardo1000
Old 07-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Give Me Liberty

I stopped in a music store last year in Colorado that sold Rainsong guitars and I thought it sounded horrible unplugged. The best I could describe it as was it sounded "plastic"
Old 07-17-2004, 04:59 AM

If you want a carbon guitar that sounds like a wood guitar, CA is the way to go. Rainsong's instruments are cool but they definately will never sound like a Martin.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2
If you want a carbon guitar that sounds like a wood guitar, CA is the way to go. Rainsong's instruments are cool but they definately will never sound like a Martin.
I certainly believe in technology, but an acoustic guitar that's not wood is just "wrong". I'm kidding, of course, but I'm just a wood lover. For the same reason, I'd rather have wood floors than linoleum. I've never heard a composite acoustic that came close to sounding like a good slab of wood, but I'm old and set in my ways, and my hearing is not what it used to be. Another thing, these new carbon guitars are just butt ugly. But only to me. Oh, I hate Ovations too, always have.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488
Old 07-17-2004, 11:59 AM

I have a Rainsong and I love it. It definitely does not sound like a wood guitar but in certain ways, it sounds better to me. The tone is sort of chimey, and it sustains forever. It is also practically indestructable, which is nice for travel. I would want it as my only guitar, but I'm glad I have it.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:27 PM

Aaron,

Your last sentence is a little confusing. Did you mean to say that you *wouldn't* want the Rainsong as your only guitar?

tac5

I'm old also, which is why I've already got a couple of old guitars which show every minute of their 35 to 40 years of hard travelin'. The idea of an indestructable composite guitar greatly appeals to me, if it *does* sound as good as (or better than) a comparatively priced wood guitar.

On the other hand, the science/art of coaxing good sound from a composite guitar seems to be advancing so fast that old composite guitars may simply be viewed as outdated - while old wood guitars seem to develop a certain mystique. My incredibly worn and beat up old '68 D28 continues to draw rave comments from the young players who borrow it at the open mics (which I host) or other shows which I'm involved in. (It happened again just last night.) They've told me that they like the guitar's tone and playability, but my suspicion is that the road-worn look also provides a substantial part of the guitar's appeal.

Gary
Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 PM

I'd definitely prefer to stick to solid wood. That's what guitars are supposed to be made from. Incidentally, I don't have any use for Ovations either, though I suppose they might make a good paddle if you were up the creek without one.

2008 Collings OM-2HA
2002 Taylor 712ce
1970 Martin D-18
2008 Silver Creek D-170
2005 Washburn WD-32SW
2006 Gibson '61 Reissue SG
2002 Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster
2006 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
1972 Gibson SG Pro
1985 Squier Telecaster
2006 Epiphone AlleyKat

"Life without music would be a mistake." --Nietzsche
Old 07-17-2004, 10:25 PM

Sorry... should've proofed my post. I meant to say that I wouldn't want it as my only guitar. I'll admit that it's lacking in the mojo department... it doesn't have the 'cool' factor that a road-worn 68 Hummingbird would. I'm also not wild about the cosmetics, with the shark inlays and the gaudy paua rosette. However, I love the tone, volume, and playability, and it is a very practical guitar. Being an engineer, I don't personally buy the "a guitar should be made from wood" line. There is lots of room for technical advances in guitar making, like many other fields. I like to fly fish too, but you're not going to see me slingin' a cane pole around for bonefish.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:17 AM

If you are looking for a "take anywhere" guitar, the carbons are hard to beat. Haven't seen the CA's in person, but have played several Rainsongs and really like the tone. It IS different, but cool all the same, more of a bright taylor tone than a martin sound.
Like others have said, it wouldn't want one as my only guitar, but I DO want one.
FWIW it seems like the Rainsongs would be a little more indestructible than the CAs since the rainsongs are ALL composite while the CAs still have a little wood in the mix (fingerboard).
One of the best justifications I can think of: outdoor gigs. With a composite there are no worries with humidity and temp changes don't mess with your tuning nearly as much.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 07-18-2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac5
Oh, I hate Ovations too, always have.
Amen to that, slippery little buggers!
Old 07-18-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetic_folly
Amen to that, slippery little buggers!
i like my ovation a lot.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:01 PM

Wouldn't doubt it, some people really like them, I just would never purchase one myself! Nothing against anyone who plays one, yourself included... just not a fan.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Hey Aggie! You have the same birthday as me! Exactly one year before me! How cool...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber