The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM

Default NAD (New Amp Day) : AER 60

I just picked it up at Gryphon Strings. I do some weddings at beaches, in the redwoods, etc. and was considering the version with batteries. That model was a little bit more than what I wanted to spend and I heard some bad reviews around the battery replacements.

Anyways, it's such a clean, clear reproduction of sound. I'm actually using some modeling settings on my Bose T1 for my different guitars (some nylon, some steel string). I was very impressed with how my Taylor 712 Nylon, 12 fret sounds through it. Still stays super clean even with a little reverb applied and the volume is more than enough for my gigs.

I just need to find a good stand to get it up off the ground a bit!
Old 07-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mike,
Congrats on the new amp! I had one and should have kept it!

When I had mine I bought an adapter that allowed me to mount the Compact 60 on a speaker stand. It screws into the little mic stand mount on the bottom of the amp.

It is made by K&M and the model number is

K&M 24521-300-55

http://https://www.performanceaudio.com/item/k-m-stands-24521-reducer-flange/42879/

Not sure if you are looking for that much height but it's an option and is much sturdier than a mic stand.

Matt
Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! The Compact is a superlative little amp; I love mine, and have always been astounded by how much sound that 60 solid-state watts through one 8" speaker can produce!

I play 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars and sing through mine, also using the T1 from my bigger Bose L1 Model II, and it works great!

Couple of things - if you want the unit to produce really good bass, you want it on the floor... I bought one of the little "angle stand" gizmos that AER makes for it and it works very well for my use; it also folds up and stores in one of the side pockets of the Compact 60's nylon case/carry bag.

Another aspect of the sound is that, much like the Bose (but to a lesser degree), the Compact "wants" a little room for the sound to "bloom"... I find that if I am at least 10 feet away from the amp, it really sounds BIG and even, mcuh more than when I'm positioned closer to it. Of course, a little bit of distance also helps with any feedback issues when playing at a higher volume level.

Enjoy your new amp! I LOVE that it is SOOOO lightweight, yet the sound is very pure and high fidelity!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM

I recently picked one up used here on the forum just to check it out. The plan was to play with it for awhile and then sell it and get my money back. It is so light and big sounding at the same time I hate to give it up. I had sold my Schertler Unicorn earlier and it too is a fine amp. The Schertler products tend to have more power but also have a bigger, deeper low end. I have not missed the low end of the Unicorn at all. I find there is plenty of bottom end. I wish the preamp section had a bit more to it it terms of inputs and EQ but it still rocks.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Hi Mike,
Congrats on the new amp! I had one and should have kept it!

When I had mine I bought an adapter that allowed me to mount the Compact 60 on a speaker stand. It screws into the little mic stand mount on the bottom of the amp.

It is made by K&M and the model number is

K&M 24521-300-55

http://https://www.performanceaudio.com/item/k-m-stands-24521-reducer-flange/42879/

Not sure if you are looking for that much height but it's an option and is much sturdier than a mic stand.

Matt
Use Open Matt's K&M part suggestion with this speaker stand which is smaller and can be set lower than most speaker stands, and it is pretty strong as it's been supporting my Schertler Jam 400 @ 48lbs, and a Mackie H1221 @ 50lbs! ...

https://www.amazon.com/Audio2000S-AS...p?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I have one which I am thinking about selling. They are very impressive for what they are but I always find the vocal sound to be on the harsh side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification