The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Guitar's Celtic Hound Logo

Perhaps others are already aware- but just thought I'd pass on the information I received from Sean at Emerald Guitars when I asked about meaning/story behind the hound logo on the headstock. I thought it very interesting.

Here is his reply:

Our logo, The Hound, is a modern interpretation of a very ancient artistic Irish Celtic theme.

The logo was designed by Mark Willett, an Australian designer living in Derry, just across the border in Northern Ireland, in 2000.

Having looked at different themes across Celtic mythology, Alistair and Mark decided something uniquely Irish Celtic - The Hound - inspired by designs featured in the Book of Kells

The tapered-in design of our headstock has a very functional purpose - Alistair wanted to have as straight a string-pull over the knot as possible. Creating everything to work together, the curve on the top of the headstock was added to allow space for The Hound.

If you delve further into ‘The Hound’ in Irish mythology, you may find a lot of similarities to the hit HBO programme, Game Of Thrones, which is filmed not too far from us!

We hope this give you a little more insight and don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Sean did post this information a while ago, but it was buried in an unrelated thread. So it's good that you've posted it as a standalone subject because it is interesting to fans of Emerald guitars.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Very interesting. Thanks for passing this along… I missed it when Sean put it out earlier. One of my neighbors asked me about it when I got my X-7 and I had to admit that I had no idea. Now I know!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:20 AM

I recall reading this before, but this time I saved the text into a document on my computer.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM

There are a number of very nice animal related designs for that area. I particularly like the horse and dragons.

Not from the Book of Kells, but I had these picks printed a while ago.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

For reference, it's appropriate to post a pic of the logo in question. The pic blow is taken from Matt_Adamas NGD X7 thread.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 AM

I still say it's my dog!

My X7

My Lucy
Old 06-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
There are a number of very nice animal related designs for that area. I particularly like the horse and dragons.

Not from the Book of Kells, but I had these picks printed a while ago.

Nice pick design!

But that's the flag of Wales; nothing to do with Ireland other than that the Welsh and Irish are both Celtic peoples. Different island, actually.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
Perhaps others are already aware- but just thought I'd pass on the information I received from Sean at Emerald Guitars when I asked about meaning/story behind the hound logo on the headstock. I thought it very interesting.

Here is his reply:

Our logo, The Hound, is a modern interpretation of a very ancient artistic Irish Celtic theme.

The logo was designed by Mark Willett, an Australian designer living in Derry, just across the border in Northern Ireland, in 2000.

Having looked at different themes across Celtic mythology, Alistair and Mark decided something uniquely Irish Celtic - The Hound - inspired by designs featured in the Book of Kells

The tapered-in design of our headstock has a very functional purpose - Alistair wanted to have as straight a string-pull over the knot as possible. Creating everything to work together, the curve on the top of the headstock was added to allow space for The Hound.

If you delve further into ‘The Hound’ in Irish mythology, you may find a lot of similarities to the hit HBO programme, Game Of Thrones, which is filmed not too far from us!

We hope this give you a little more insight and don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!
So it looks like the Emerald hound is now officially "The Hound". He used to be known as Rufus.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Nice pick design!

But that's the flag of Wales; nothing to do with Ireland other than that the Welsh and Irish are both Celtic peoples. Different island, actually.

I've told this before but....

I usually carry a few around with me to give away. I was in my local coffee shop, pulled out some change and some picks with it.

The young girl serving me commented something like "cool picks" so I gave her one. She said it was a nice design and I asked if she knew what it was. She said no. I told her it was the flag of Wales.

She looked puzzled and asked me, "Why do whales need a flag?"
Old 06-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I've told this before but....

I usually carry a few around with me to give away. I was in my local coffee shop, pulled out some change and some picks with it.

The young girl serving me commented something like "cool picks" so I gave her one. She said it was a nice design and I asked if she knew what it was. She said no. I told her it was the flag of Wales.

She looked puzzled and asked me, "Why do whales need a flag?"
No way, you just made that up, please please please tell me you just made that up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
No way, you just made that up, please please please tell me you just made that up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sadly, 100% true.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:48 PM

Every time I see a news report or a TV cop show that mentions "serial killers" I cannot resist turning to my wife and asking, "What do these guys have against breakfast cereal anyway?" [rimshot]
Old 06-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Yo, Uncle;

That hound is a very important symbol in Wales. I think the Irish stole it from us.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Sadly, 100% true.
I think I need to go and have an adult beverage! OMG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber