The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Just sayin.

This guy uses these strings.

but... after a web search i can't seem to find any active links to purchase them... hmmm...

me

Last edited by wierdOne; 09-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM

One problem with the older I get is that my strings last longer and longer... I haven't had the inkling to change strings on my arch top for years... so... when i visited the forum this morning and reading this topic, I decided it was time to order some strings...

After a fruitless search for the Alloy 52's, I called the shop and spoke to the manager. Apparently Sadowsky is using a new type of string that can be special ordered, and I think they're about to "productize"... I'm not sure of the alloy type/percentage information, but they put them on all of their guitars/archtops now...

I use kent armstrong floating humbuckers, and the new strings are what they're using paired with those pickups... so... i'm ordering a few sets to try out.

me
Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I love JL's acoustic tone on that L5 of his...
Old 09-18-2014, 02:10 PM

I am new to the archtop landscape, or soundscape as it were. My Tacoma Jazz King is strung up with D'Addario flat wound medium gauge Chrome XL's which sound good through the Valvetrain amp I just tested at the store. I also got DR Zebra's to try but it will be awhile before I get around to re-stringing the guitar. I am coming back to this thread next time I go to the store to buy strings. All good suggestions.

~ Seagull, Canada ~
2003 Maritime SWS Mahogany Dreadnaught

~Tacoma's, Tacoma, Washington, USA~
2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

~ Guild's, Westerly, R.I., USA ~
1980 F212 CNT

...one man gathers what another man spills...
Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM

I used the half-rounds for years on an ES 175, and then on a Campellone with a floating PU. I always liked them, until I tried a set of TI BeBop strings; no going back for me...

Don
Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM

GHS Brite Flats!!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdOne View Post
One problem with the older I get is that my strings last longer and longer... I haven't had the inkling to change strings on my arch top for years... so... when i visited the forum this morning and reading this topic, I decided it was time to order some strings...

After a fruitless search for the Alloy 52's, I called the shop and spoke to the manager. Apparently Sadowsky is using a new type of string that can be special ordered, and I think they're about to "productize"... I'm not sure of the alloy type/percentage information, but they put them on all of their guitars/archtops now...

I use kent armstrong floating humbuckers, and the new strings are what they're using paired with those pickups... so... i'm ordering a few sets to try out.
Hi -

I've been playing archtop's for ~45+ years but have never paid much attention to which brands I use, or even what compounds they're made of. (for example: I am pretty happy using 12-53 phosphor bronze strings and biasing the pickup poles to match the top two strings.

I guess you're thinking that Lage's sound has something to do with his strings but I doubt it. He's just got a good touch. But back to the topic:: I recall using Sadowsky 1052's 12-52 gauge around 2008 or so and then they went off the market. If you like a fairly high-tension round-wound nickle'sh string , they are pretty nice. Recently I bought a couple packs of these La Bella 1052's (http://www.juststrings.com/lab-sa1252.html) and used them for a few weeks of gigs and to me, they sound and feel like they may have made them for Sadowsky (but I don't know that).

Might be worth checking those out if you really like that compound. I'm changing back to phosphor bronze ej-16's d'addario strings because they somehow manage to give me the brightness I like at a fairly low-medium tension (12-53) and they sound great acoustically.

I am curious about new Sadowsky products if that happens. Please post and give us a write-up about them.

Cheers.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Just plugged in mine today. Maybe 15-20% less volume on the 1st string. Volume gets progressively better as you move up the strings.

EXP phosphor bronze

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
Just plugged in mine today. Maybe 15-20% less volume on the 1st string. Volume gets progressively better as you move up the strings.

EXP phosphor bronze
Have you got a pickup with adjustable pole pieces? For PB strings, I have to greatly lower the high E & B pole pieces (or raise the rest) in order to account for the imbalance of a pickup setup for 6 steel/nickle wrapped steel core strings vs. 4 PB wrapped steel core strings & 2 steel strings.

I've got an Armstrong pickup which is the oddball one with two pole pieces per string, but on mine, they're in phase so I just lower the two/string on the two top strings, so four in all.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sliff View Post

For a fun (but not cheap) experiment try a set of Thomastik Infeld flat wounds. Incredible sound and last for a long time.
I've been playing Thomastiks for over 30 years and use them on all my arch tops. about 20 years ago i took an effort to try out plenty of other brands, mostly because of the price, never felt comfortable with any of them so i returned to the Thomastik Swing set .013 to .052. They seem to respond better to dynamics and personality in my playing than any of the other strings i tried.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops