The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 AM

Default Eastman T386 vs T186

Anyone here played the 2 "side by side"?
How much difference to you think there is when plugged in? (say a Bugera V5). Long time acoustic player looking to expand into electric-bluesy stuff. I'm not loving my Strat. I prefer 1 3/4" nut width.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Default good question..

I'm with you, and I've been wondering the same thing. I once spoke with someone who said that the biggest difference is that the t186 has a solid wood maple top while the t386 is laminated maple. He said that it would be silly to pay up for the t186 because of the sonic characteristics of maple (which are a result of the density of the wood) makes it so you would not be able to distinguish any difference between the two. He said if it were spruce than you would be able to hear a difference but not in maple. He further explained that they are modeled after the Gibson es335 which is also a laminated maple. My understanding is the body of the t186 is also solid wood where the t386 is not. I also believe that the center block in the t186 is smaller and does less to prevent feedback. I can't attest to the sonic difference since I've never played the two back to back but I have played the t386 and thought it was awesome. I think I kind of would prefer the t486 over either of them. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops