The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Anchoring little finger: good or bad technique?

I anchor my little finger of my picking hand on the body of the guitar a fair bit, do many consider this to be a bad habit? I'm probably never going to change it as I'm not really too bothered if something is 'good' or 'bad' technique, but I am curious.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Classical players may be aghast at the technique, but for steel string players its simply a choice. Sound like you made the choice, don't plan to change, so why worry if it is considered good or bad.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
so why worry if it is considered good or bad.
Don't worry, I'm not worried...just curious!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 PM

Tommy Emmanuel anchors, therefore it can do you no harm in my eyes. I tried it but couldn't get used to it.
Jay Turser JTA-EGL Eagle very pretty guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition the mandatory electric
Yamaha C40 Classical

Some of My Videos:
Halfway Home Albatross Make You Feel My Love Little Things Wonderwall
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Whatever way is best or most comforable for you is the right way and it becomes your "style". I personally play best when I anchor the flesh of my palm on the bridge just a bit. I also use considerable palm muting but thats "my style".

Blues
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Only bad if tension builds up in the hand and you feel pain or fatigue.

Classical players balk at it because it leads to a crunched up hand, which is terrible technique. On classical, bad technique means bad tone, fewer dynamics and lower volume overall. Very big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM

I think it's bad because it suppresses the vibration of the top of the guitar. There are times where I've noticed a big difference in tone, too, as I used to anchor. I didn't think I'd ever stop, but practiced until I didn't need to.

2012 Martin 000-28 MMV
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM

The only thing I can see, which causes a problem, is that anchoring restrains movement of the picking hand by being in a stationary position. Personally, I move my right hand quite often back and forth between the bridge and the end of the fretboard. Anchoring the pinkie may slow you down...
Then again, it may not make a difference...nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Another thing to note is that just touching the top with your pinkie and letting it glide around for spacial reference isn't really anchoring. Many pros do this.

Anchoring usually refers to planting your pinkie on the top, which can lead to strain.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSlider View Post
I anchor my little finger of my picking hand on the body of the guitar a fair bit, do many consider this to be a bad habit? I'm probably never going to change it as I'm not really too bothered if something is 'good' or 'bad' technique, but I am curious.
Hi WS...

If you float it and just touch down you're fine. If you put pressure on it, it may inhibit your playing.

Many of the best players in the world touch down their pinky when playing, and hasn't seemed to harm their style or capability to play very fluidly.

Chief among them are Tommy Emmanuel, Doc Watson, Doyle Dykes, Martin Taylor, Tuck Andress and Thom Bresh, oh yeah, and some guy named Chet Atkins...and most of these guys would be considered main stream fingerpickers!

There's no rule in fingerstyle that says touching down the pinky will harm your play.

Actually, Merle Travis (the father of Travis picking) planted every finger but the index right on top of the guitar. He managed to play really well with three fingers planted.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Anchoring little finger: good or bad technique?

Thanks ljguitar for the detailed breakdown!

I anchor too like OP, and I can actually hear a difference in my tone. But the thing is my accuracy is way better with pinkie plant so...guess I have to keep refining my technique to get to a good balance.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Jaxxx, don't go crazy about that.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
Thanks ljguitar for the detailed breakdown!
Hi jaxxx

First of all, Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you jumped in...

My advice as a teacher is lighten up. If you are pressing hard enough to change the tone, the lift a bit. Accuracy comes with experience.

An exercise is to pluck four note chords/clusters and lift/spring the hand upwards ½'' (1cm) while you do so. Then drop them lightly back onto the strings you just plucked to mute them. This will build freedom from having to press with the pinky while you play, and accuracy when you do.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM

I used to anchor when finger picking, worked a not doing it for two weeks. Now I don't. Not too hard of a habit to break, if you want to. I found it inhibited only when I needed to use my ring finger, two finger style, OK, but if you want to work in the third., it seemed to work for me.
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM

I used to anchor when flatpicking (or should I say, all those years that I strummed a guitar every now and then but never really made it a priority to learn). I had this habit for years of firmly planting my pinky and ring finger onto the pick-guard.

About a year ago I got serious about wanting to learn guitar so started with the basics and decided to kick the anchoring habit. It took a little bit of time but now I don't do it. I rest my middle, ring, and pinky fingers on the pick guard for sure but they just slide around there. I find it's a lot easier now to move across strings. I never developed problems in my hand from anchoring but quit the habit before spending a ton of time playing.

I do still anchor sometimes but it's a conscious decision. I do it when I'm on one or two strings (so I know I'm not going to move) and I need both power and speed.

I see quite a few people anchor and I don't have enough experience to say to anyone that's it's a bad idea. It certainly works out well for a lot of people. "Not" doing it seemed like a good idea so I decided to go that route.

Cary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write