The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Default A++ Rainsong Customer Service

Recently purchased a Rainsong S-OM1100N2, the least expensive in their line-up, mind you. I wanted to try shaving the saddle to lower the action but was concerned about taking off too much. I emailed Rainsong about how I could get a replacement saddle - just in case - and within a week, Jeane Carr had sent me a replacement saddle. This is obviously a company that remains responsive to its customers, even if you buy the least expensive model. I love these guys....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 AM

It's always nice to read about great customer service. Did you lower the saddle yet?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

No, not yet. I think that carbon fiber, being a relatively novel building material for guitars, scares new buyers away for a number of reasons. That said, perhaps some are reticent to purchase for fear of having guitars that the company either won't stand behind or may not be around. Composite Acoustics suddenly went belly-up several years ago, and it's good to know that Rainsong is a solid, responsive company...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 AM

RainSong is excellent..as is Blackbird and Emerald..I would guess Peavy/CA will be good as well.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I also hope that Peavey will do good things for this burgeoning market and really didn't mean to stir up any harsh feelings or comparisons to CA's previous situation...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I also hope that Peavey will do good things for this burgeoning market and really didn't mean to stir up any harsh feelings or comparisons to CA's previous situation...
Actually CA was fairly responsive until a short while before their close down. Good people put in a tough position at the end.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Rainsong is indeed excellent in service. A friend of mine since high school has been a professional player since his late teens. Besides teaching guitar, he is also part of band which tours the central plains region.

His band leader had purchased a Rainsong back when they were a new company, so maybe 15-20 years ago (a guess?). The model he bought was one of those few that were made ages ago, when for a very short time period, they used an epoxy that was not heat stable (ancient history.)

Years ago, this musician left his guitar in a metal, un-airconditioned trailer house while traveling during the summer. When he returned, the guitar was severely unplayable, the epoxy having let loose. For reasons unknown, he just abandoned the guitar and continued on touring with other guitars he had. He put the Rainsong out of site.

Last year, my friend told me he had found the band leader's Rainsong in a storage area and described the condition to me. I asked why the band leader never contacted Rainsong? Rainsong would stand behind their product completely, I told him. I told him this was a known issue from years ago and was corrected way back. I also told him that there had been major design and material changes since the time that Rainsong was purchased and that he'd be amazed at carbon fiber guitars today.

He told his b. leader but the guy was still reluctant because it had just been too many years ago, he felt. I encouraged my friend again to talk to him again and assured him they had nothing to lose with a simple email to Rainsong. Finally, earlier this year, he contacted Rainsong.

I received an email a few months ago that he had received a new guitar from Rainsong (I didn't write again to ask if he meant his guitar was repaired or if it was replaced--so I don't know). All I know is the b. leader is incredibly happy. I'm promised a free dinner if I ever get out to visit there again.

I had no reason to relate this story before, especially since I don't own a Rainsong. But I felt that because of the title of this thread, this type of service needs to be made known--especially since Rainsong doesn't really let people know what they do behind the scenes. This type of service reveals true character. It's who you really are when no sees you. I tip my hat to this company.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Wow...Good story ac.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

RainSong Customer Service is SUPER! I requested a replacement L.R. Baggs Element UST, for a DR1000/LR Baggs-equipped dreadnought that I owned a couple of years ago, and not only did they send it to me but they also included a new TUSQ saddle for me to work, if necessary.

There IS or SHOULD BE a carbon guitar in every acoustic guitarist's future. I recommend RainSong as the carbon-guitar brand to consider for guitarists who are thinking of making their first carbon-guitar purchase.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 PM

My favorite kind of thread, happy Christmas people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber