The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
*mahoganut*

I guess we could sum it up by saying that the Rainsong, and other carbon fiber guitars - can take a very wide range of temperature changes at a very fast change rate, and can take any humidity change at all without issue. At temperatures which begin to melt glue (not just body glue, but glue holding the bridge in place, for example) the body materials will not change but the loosening glue could certainly be a problem.

In an earlier thread this year, one of the members reported on some comprehensive testing that had been done, and the trunk was the better place to be for overall temperature. The windows - no matter the level of tinting - allow in too much radiant heat if the sun's out.

For wood guitars, the general rule of thumb is if you're comfortable, it will be comfortable. Change is the enemy, and a rapid rate of change is worst.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I guess we could sum it up by saying that the Rainsong, and other carbon fiber guitars - can take a very wide range of temperature changes . . . . . At temperatures which begin to melt glue (not just body glue, but glue holding the bridge in place, for example) the body materials will not change but the loosening glue could certainly be a problem. . . . . .
One of the carbon fiber guitar builders, Emerald Guitars, has a proprietary method for building its carbon fiber guitars. There is no glue use at all. The entire body, the neck and the bridge are created in one single forming process. The bridge and top are both integral with the entire body. Because it is "one" piece, it is impossible, for example, for the bridge to lift or separate. It is one very, very durable guitar. Take a look at posts #5 & #8 on this thread: http://macnichol.com/forum-post/4187

Last edited by ac; 09-12-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Video

You might find this YT video interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_gI3chGtww The process will be a little different for the guitar, but very similar, I'm sure.

STeve
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
You might find this YT video interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_gI3chGtww The process will be a little different for the guitar, but very similar, I'm sure. STeve
Yes, I've seen that video before and that would likely be very similar to Rainsong, CA and Blackbird--but not Emerald.

As in that video, at about the 5 minute mark ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3chGtww#t=249s ) you see them 'gluing' the top on as an entirely separate piece. The glue is a different material than the resins used to harden the fiber and introduces extra variables into the process.

Emerald's guitars have the entire sides, back, and body as "one" piece--and that includes the bridge itself as well as the neck. That's very, very different than Rainsong, CA, or Blackbird. Glue is never needed. Necks do not need bolting on, etc. They are one piece.

Exactly how he developed that process 12 years ago is only known to Alistair and he has stated that he intends to keep this a proprietary process. I would do the same as it does give his guitars advantages in strength and durability that is built into the very design itself. It's an invisible difference to the player, but it's real and it adds real value, IMO.

There are of course other ways to add strength, such as the bolts. Rainsong secures its bridges and neck with bolts, I believe. Of course, these are very strong and their bridges will not separate either because of them.

However, I personally like the idea of a guitar with no glue at all for purposes of durability and heat stability. I'm personally very big on real innovations in design that make tangible differences for the better. Emerald guitars are at this time, unique in this respect.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

A few more thoughts ...

On RainSongs, the bridge is glued and bolted to the soundboard. The neck is bolted to the body (the fingerboard part of the neck is glued ... but this is a non-structural joint). So, the neck and the bridge are not dependent on the strength of the epoxy glue.

The soundboard to body joint is glued using aerospace grade epoxy. Please note that the whole guitar is made of carbon fiber and epoxy. If you are concerned about the joints coming apart because of failing epoxy, you should also be worried about the whole structure collapsing because it is ALL made of epoxy.

I repeat, we have not had ANY heat-related issues reported on RainSongs built for the past decade.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

Is it possible to refret a rainsong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
A few more thoughts ...

On RainSongs, the bridge is glued and bolted to the soundboard. The neck is bolted to the body (the fingerboard part of the neck is glued ... but this is a non-structural joint). So, the neck and the bridge are not dependent on the strength of the epoxy glue.

The soundboard to body joint is glued using aerospace grade epoxy. Please note that the whole guitar is made of carbon fiber and epoxy. If you are concerned about the joints coming apart because of failing epoxy, you should also be worried about the whole structure collapsing because it is ALL made of epoxy.

I repeat, we have not had ANY heat-related issues reported on RainSongs built for the past decade.

Thanks!
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

RainSongs can be refretted just like any wooden instrument. The frets are pressed into the fingerboard with a touch of superglue (if necessary).
Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timallums View Post
I can see your point- Some yo-yo trying something stupid and then suing-- All I was envisioning was what I was experiencing on my road trip-- Not knowing where we might stop and for how long-- Went to Graceland first instead of the hotel because of timing: I keep an AC technician's thermometer in the center air-conditioning vent (it was reading 120 when we got in the car to leave Graceland). I took a Stratocaster on our trip which had no issues hidden under a blanket in the back of the Tahoe, but an ordinary acoustic would have been toast.

I would like to avoid extreme temps when possible, but sometimes you can't plan for all contingencies, such as when timing wouldn't allow us to unload at the hotel before going to Graceland.

Now, because of this forum, I'm beginning to form the opinion that there are a couple of brands out there that I wouldn't have to be so worried about occasionally subjecting to less than ideal temps.

Don't worry, though- I won't be suing somebody if a guitar doesn't pass the "sauna test".
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
RainSongs can be refretted just like any wooden instrument. The frets are pressed into the fingerboard with a touch of superglue (if necessary).
This thread is giving me an ichy trigger finger
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Does any of this apply to the Rainsongs with laminated wood bodies like the PGA1000?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM

While reading this thread I have been envisioning a Rainsong ad featuring a guitarist, in ten inches of insulating clothes, playing one in next to a penguin at McMurdo Sound.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
While reading this thread I have been envisioning a Rainsong ad featuring a guitarist, in ten inches of insulating clothes, playing one in next to a penguin at McMurdo Sound.
Check out the photograph at the end of this blog:

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/17/und...ch-diving.html
Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 AM
*mahoganut*

Very cool picture Ashvin!!!

Phil

For those of you who'd like to see it here:

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

Last edited by riorider; 11-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbazil View Post
I saw a guy stand on his and then play it. It was still in tune. I drive a Miata and my guitar will not fit in the trunk. I don't think any small sports car is going to have a trunk big enough for a guitar.
Anybody know if the new Rainsong Shorty will fit into a Miata's trunk???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber