The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Fretting

I am ready to fret, I bought the wire and hammer and have finished the fret board to a 15" radius, as per Taylor Guitars. When I put a straight edge on the fret board it is about 98% flat accept for a very slight high area in the middle, barely noticeable. Am I ready to fret?, I know when I put the strings on it will pull the neck forward to reverse any bow. I checked my other guitars and they have a slight low spot in the center when under string tension.
Thanks in advance for help!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 PM

The strings will pull it forward, but the frets tend to force it the other direction depending on how well they fit the slots, so unless have a 2 way truss rod installed you're going to want a little forward bow before fretting. What kind of truss rod or reinforcement do you have in the neck? The forward bow you measured in the other guitars is usually referred to as "relief" and is adjusted with the truss rod depending on the set up (lower action requires more room in the middle of the neck because of the shape of the strings when they vibrate).
Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 AM

I'd get it fully flat first.

and when you fret, take it easy, don't bash them in or you'll dent the tops. id suggest tap them in 3/4 of the way, then lay along piece of scrap hardwood across the top and give THAT a few good thumps. that will leave the fret tops pretty level.

if you end up doing a load more builds, a fret press is s good idea as the frets don't get dented and need less levelling
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 AM

I have a Martin style one way truss rod, that was a mistake, I should have bought a 2 way but has already routered the neck, was too late.
I will sand the fret board down a bit more.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM

pay attention to what martin said
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endevour View Post
I have a Martin style one way truss rod, that was a mistake, I should have bought a 2 way but has already routered the neck, was too late.
I will sand the fret board down a bit more.
Before you sand the fretboard, tighten the trussrod to put a slight back-bow in the neck, and then sand it straight (no need to sand it "flat", as Martin said, unless he actually meant "straight"). Doing it like this will ensure that your truss rod adjustment doesn't "bottom out" any time in the future.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Before you sand the fretboard, tighten the trussrod to put a slight back-bow in the neck, and then sand it straight (no need to sand it "flat", as Martin said, unless he actually meant "straight"). Doing it like this will ensure that your truss rod adjustment doesn't "bottom out" any time in the future.
Ok. I put tension on the truss rod, took a long board to the fret board, sanded it, then re-sanded the 15 " radius, then released the truss rod. The straight edge sits tight and flat all along the fret board over the entire crown. I held it up to a light horizontally and the straight edge is flat against the fret board from end to end. It took a couple of tries but I think it worked! Thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 AM

see? ask a question, sift the answers and get a result!!

doncha love forums?
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair