The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM

I would guess some amount of blood would be required ...
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I am new to this and am quit interested as I am a musician, love music, wood instruments and creating. I could see myself (as a hobbyist) dabbling in this and becoming quite passionate about it was well. I have a world renowned luthier 30 mins from my house (Sergie De Jonge) who provides guitar building classes which of course I would attend. However as a hobbyist I would like to know what is a ball park figure to maintain an adequate shop.

Thanks
Most important tool is your patience because to build and maintain a shop (It sounds like you would like this to grow into a career so the kitchen may do for now but not forever) takes a long time and a lot of commitment. Just do it!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM

The tools and equipment are expensive to be sure. But as stated by others, its not just the tools that constitute a "shop". Just to keep going, we not only take in some repairs, but I have an auto upholstery restoration business, a government pension, a part-time job as a pinsetter mechanic, and an understanding and employed spouse. Bill my building partner, makes historic replicas of 17th century leather goods, and is a stay at home dad of newby twin daughters, while his understanding wife works a "regular" job. We love creating the end products and working with our hands, but it's hard to make a living at it.
George (East Virginia Guitars)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop