The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Tube Screamer?

I don't own an electric guitar, nor do I wish to. That being said, I've got an electric guitar distorted sound in my head for a couple of my songs. A friend of mine (an unapologetic metal guitarist) says an Ibanez tube screamer is what I need.

Have any of y'all ever used one of these with an acoustic? And if so, does it emulate distorted electric? Sorry I can't articulate exactly the sound I'm looking for, but think a typical rock guitar sound. Many thanks...
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 PM

I've tried one and I couldn't warm up to it. I have used a Boss Blues Driver and enjoyed playing around with it. I had them plugged into a Zed 10 fx mixer.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM

I've used overdrive pedals on acoustics with soundhole pickups before and it works great, other than being a lot more feedback prone than is typical with a mag pickup.

I would think that with a piezo pickup, feedback would be a problem when using an OD pedal, but if your friend has one - try it out and see for yourself.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 PM

I use several (electric) pedals with my acoustics and have found a compressor and distortion pedal mix to work well on on some tunes. Again, feedback is likely, but just be quick with the volume pedal, or switch off the effect. I've used a Tube Screamer through a Zoom G3x and it sounded ok, but a decent distortion pedal can be had for $35 or so used.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:42 AM

I have used a Tube Screamer with an Element based UST with decent results. As long as the stage volume is not too loud it can work. I stopped bringing one to gigs after experimenting for a few months. I only used it for leads. Any of the Tube Screamer clones will work about the same and Behringer TO800 is a cheap one that I A-B tested against a Maxon reissue once with indistinguishable results.

Tube Screamers get their signature tone by putting symmetrical clipping diodes in an opamp's feedback loop. As the opamp clips the gain of the circuit is also reduced. The harsher sounding ones clip with an extra diode (three in total) in the feedback loop (two in one direction, one in the other), or by clipping the output of the opamp symmetrically. There is an incredible amount of marketing but not really that much circuit variety...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM

I use the cheap Behringer Tube Screamer clone ($19!) combined with an older distortion box. It can get some interesting tones! Feedback for sure if turned up too much.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input y'all. I bought a Boss SD1 yesterday and so far I'm pleased.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification