The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Hi redir,

Yes, the same thing. Nomenclature may vary but the need to correct for a band saw's tenancy to cut at an angle slightly different than parallel to the table guide slots is necessary. We're on the same page.

A brand new un-used blade will often cut parallel to the table slots, but that changes as soon as there's even a small amount of wear to ether side of the blade teeth. It's something that we more or less intuitively deal with as we become familiar with the eccentricities to the use of most any tool.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Dont forget the importance of blade tension!!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 AM

There is a saw down the street from me in an closed sawmill that is around 15 feet tall and has at least a 4" wide blade. I actually thought about it for a minute or two... I'm like "well, there's three phase power on the street, I could get it pulled in and the ceiling is high enough..."

Not mentioned often enough is selection of blade. The wrong blade, of any quality on any saw, won't do the job properly. I don't know much, not having much experience with a band saw, but when I got a low tooth count (4 tpi) 1/2" wide blade, my skill at resawing improved by an order of magnitude! The theory is that a low tooth count, big toothed blade simply makes a space for the sawdust to go, and lets the saw work a whole lot easier. Worked for me. So do a little research about how to choose a blade for the task at hand, and don't make my mistake of thinking there is such a thing as a do-all combination blade. You have to just about completely re-set-up the saw each time you change the blade, and yes, they do wear out...
Old 01-08-2017, 10:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Fortunately, setting up a bandsaw is only a couple of minutes work, as I will demonstrate at today's previously mentioned NCAL meeting in my shop. Unfortunately, the weather outside is frightful, and I suspect that may impact attendance.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Fortunately, setting up a bandsaw is only a couple of minutes work, as I will demonstrate at today's previously mentioned NCAL meeting in my shop. Unfortunately, the weather outside is frightful, and I suspect that may impact attendance.

Bruce...
Are these
Sessions available online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
Bruce...
Are these

I'm not Bruce as you can tell, but here's a nice video for you:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...-setup-tuneup/

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Bruce...
Are these

No one video'd at the NCAL meeting. There is talk however of setting up a regular system for getting that feature in the future, and since I just became president of the club it may well happen. Not promising, but I know who suggested it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I did record the presentation, but the audio is not great, and I have not had time to see if I can clean it up yet - If Bruce approves the final result, it will get posted -
Old 01-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Perhaps even a live stream Facebook video... that way it is automatically available for playback...!
Does NCAL have a FB page?? --- going to look now

Old 01-17-2017, 04:07 PM

All this being discussed I'm still contemplating which saw... i don't need a ton of resaw capacity ... just braces and such.. I don't see sawing tops and thing for a LONG time...

Again than you for all your input. It is greatly valued

Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 AM

If you're just doing braces and neck blanks a 10 inch bench top bandsaw will meet your needs quite well. Rikon makes a nice one or you can get the Craftsman clone for a bit less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Default craftsman clone

I have one of these, it works very nicely for its price. To enjoy the saw, I think the best thing to do is buy a good blade from one of the legitimate tool vendors (NOT Sears or HF) and keep the POS blade that came with it in a safe place for emergency use. Start out by using the nice new good blade. Sure was an eye-opening difference on my saw.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM

I do hope to grow the shop over the years and as my experience grows. I have my eye on a grizzly 14" delux. It seems to be a solid built saw with enough flexibility to last me a while..
It also seems like a good value at around 575
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm gently leaning that way

Old 01-19-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I do hope to grow the shop over the years and as my experience grows. I have my eye on a grizzly 14" delux. It seems to be a solid built saw with enough flexibility to last me a while..
It also seems like a good value at around 575
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm gently leaning that way

Me too. Looks like it will be about $725 shipped with tax in WA. I'm still checking on some local used saws but at some point I will pull the trigger. If so I will buy the riser and better blade later.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 PM

If you are not in a big rush I have found Craig's List to be a great place to find band saws. Lot's of people get into this wood working thing and chunk a lot of money down on a shop only to have to move for another job or just stop using the equipment and get rid of it cheap and often time's there are low hours on the saws.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair