The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM

Default Need "fun" book for student

I have her playing out of the Progressive Guitar method book 2, but it can be a little dry.

Any suggestions along that level to supplement it?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Some more information about your student (age, musical likes, etc) might help us suggest songbooks to supplement the method. Also, for those of us unfamiliar with the Progressive Guitar Method, it would be helpful to have some information on what sorts of skills one would general have acquired by Book 2 of the series.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM

It will only be fun if your student finds it fun of course, so I suggest getting her involved in choosing an easy songbook and help her learn easy songs that she knows. Her family and friends, once they know she's learning guitar, will probably bring up songs they like. She will find it fun to learn those songs, even parts of the main riffs, and then surprising people by playing it to them. The smiles she will get back will just add to the fun. I remember 41 years ago when I learned how to pick the notes of When the Saints Come Marching in, how my mother reacted by happily and loudly announcing that "he can play a song" ! These first reactions to her playing will have a huge influence on her style of play and enjoyment. Dear Mom, at 86, still pronounces my playing "perfect", and there's nothing better for a (so-so) player to hear.

I gave my student a tab of Mary Had a Little Lamb, but did not tell her what song it was. Next lesson she came back smiling saying it took her lots of time but she "figured it out".

I taught a young man who was obsessed with learning Foo Fighters songs, an boogie bass run. A year went by without hearing from him and now I hear he's into the blues...

Good luck...sounds like your student may be on the verge of quitting and it's not your faultt if she doesn't tell you what would be fun to learn.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM

She's 13 and loves Disney, so I suppose I should look there.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsimpson79 View Post
She's 13 and loves Disney, so I suppose I should look there.
I'm not that familiar with the Progressive Guitar Method, so I don't know where your student is at skill-wise, but this book might do the trick: Fingerpicking Disney. The other books in the Hal Leonard "Fingerpicking" series have standard notation for the melody line of the song (with accompaniment chords), and a second arrangement for fingerstyle guitar that combines the melody and harmony parts.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbriggs View Post
I'm not that familiar with the Progressive Guitar Method, so I don't know where your student is at skill-wise, but this book might do the trick: Fingerpicking Disney. The other books in the Hal Leonard "Fingerpicking" series have standard notation for the melody line of the song (with accompaniment chords), and a second arrangement for fingerstyle guitar that combines the melody and harmony parts.
Thanks. That might be about the right level for her. I'll check it out further.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM

13 year old girl? I'd be willing to hazard a guess that she probably likes Taylor Swift and One Direction. Or has enough friends that do that learning some of their songs would be fun for her.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write