The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Default CA Cargo "distortion" issue

I apologize if this has been covered previously. I have had a cargo that I purchased new several years ago... it has developed an acoustically "distorted" sound that appears to be related to the plastic housing that holds the volume and tone control...the housing seems to vibrate when strumming or picking...creating a distorted sound When I apply a little pressure to the plastic housing with a finger it seems to dissipate. Can this housing be removed and reglued? Any input would be appreciated.
Larry
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
I apologize if this has been covered previously. I have had a cargo that I purchased new several years ago... it has developed an acoustically "distorted" sound that appears to be related to the plastic housing that holds the volume and tone control...the housing seems to vibrate when strumming or picking...creating a distorted sound When I apply a little pressure to the plastic housing with a finger it seems to dissipate. Can this housing be removed and reglued? Any input would be appreciated.
Larry
It's hard to say for sure, but I would think it'd be a pretty easy fix.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM

Sounds like you control panel is coming loose. Pull it off and re glue it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 AM

Might check with someone on type of glue you need. Not everything sticks to carbon fiber.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I am not 100% sure that this what causing the problem. It does not feel loose...and I moved some wires that were touching the top last night...anyone else with a Cargo and a similar problem?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Rather than trying to glue the preamp, I'd consider attaching some felt to the area to silence any rattling. Peel and stick felt is available at home centers. You could also use Velcro loop material in place of felt.

I use felt to quiet rattles on my resonator guitars. Generally the tailpiece tends to rattle against the cover plate. A small piece of felt cures this.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM

For my CA Xi, which also had the volume control in the soundhole, I didn't like where it was located (it stuck out a little too far). so, I pulled it off and used some heavy duty doublestick tape (the really thick, somewhat padded kind of tape) to re-attach it.

By the way, are you sure it's the volume control? It could also be the wiring inside the guitar.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM

It's possible that the volume dial may have vibrated loose also and is rattling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber