The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Blackbird Super OM....Opinions?

I play a Martin D-28 Marquis Madagascar, but have been looking to add a smaller OM sized guitar for some fingerstyle (trying to learn), and also something small and durable enough to serve as a good travel instrument. I am playing primarily blues and classic rock songs.

I saw their Ryder line of guitars, but I wanted a full size, more "traditional" body style so that it sits on my lap properly without an added apparatus.

Does anyone have any experience here with the Blackbird Super OM. The videos looked and sounded very impressive, and I was thinking of ordering one.

I listened to both the Rainsong and Blackbird clips, and I feel that the Blackbird tones would be more to my liking, and I like the aesthetics better as well.

Any opinions, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Blueser,

They're all very good guitars with their own tone. Some of the Rainsongs - like my S-OM - have a warmer tone because of different materials. Probably the most woody sounding of the carbon fiber OMs is the CA (now Peavey) OX, although I don't Peavey has shipped any OXs yet. They are spending some time retooling to deal with neck angle issues and are currently (as far as I know) only producing the GX and the Cargo.

I played a Super OM at LA Guitar Sales and it is a very impressive guitar. For the right purpose, I would love it, but I still prefer my simple Rainsong Studio OM for all-around playing (some strumming, some fingerstyle, some blues).

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback JD.

What about your simple Rainsong did you prefer, and how did it differ with regard to strumming and fingerstyle to the Super OM? I would think the Super OM is even simpler, considering the Rainsong has the full complement of electronics and the barn door on the side. Both being OM body styles, one would think that they would do strumming and fingerstyle with equal aplomb.

There is a $500 difference between the two, with the Blackbird costing more, but cost to me is not the issue here.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM

I borrowed the Blackbird Super OM for a week, and loved it. It is a sweet guitar that excels at fingerpicking, with good volume and fantastic presence for the player due to the placement of the soundholes. It would probably not be my first choice for flatpicking or hard strumming, but it still is a great all round guitar, and sounds perfect for your intended use.

But for what you mention I would encourage you to search out a Rainsong Shorty. I just played one of these at The Podium, and thought it was a fantastic sounding OM size guitar, and a cut above the other Rainsongs I had tried.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM

I had the pleasure of trying the Rainsong Shorty FT, and it indeed is a fantastic guitar. Short scale, and what a warm sounding guitar. If you have not played a Rainsong guitar with the unidirectional top, then you are in for quite the treat! Carbon never sounded so great!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Several weeks ago I had the chance to try out a Blackbird OM along side several Rainsong models. All of them were excellent guitars and the OM definitely has a very unique vibe to it. It did sound just a tad bit more modern to me than the Rainsongs, but overall it played & sounded fantastic. I generally prefer the Gibson sound though so it wasn't quite my thing, but I'd still love to get a carbon guitar someday (most likely a Rainsong dread or jumbo).

My only gripes with the OM are with the rather thin neck profile and tall/narrow frets. Just not a combo I can get on with for a long period of time. Otherwise it's a very cool, innovative design.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
Thanks for the feedback JD.

What about your simple Rainsong did you prefer, and how did it differ with regard to strumming and fingerstyle to the Super OM? I would think the Super OM is even simpler, considering the Rainsong has the full complement of electronics and the barn door on the side. Both being OM body styles, one would think that they would do strumming and fingerstyle with equal aplomb.

There is a $500 difference between the two, with the Blackbird costing more, but cost to me is not the issue here.

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave, for clarification, my Studio OM is the 1100N2 without electronics. I like it because it's punchy and sounds really good strummed. I don't recall strumming the Super OM, but others have said it doesn't strum great. But for fingerstyle I think it could be a great guitar. I'm not sure this is right, but I have this thing in my head that the Blackbird, despite being a standard scale, kinda had the tonal qualities of a baritone guitar. Maybe I'm just making this up, but that's what I walked away with.

Here's an idea - call up Ted at LA Guitar Sales and have him play them both for you on the phone. I've done that with Ted and once did the playing for another AGF member on the phone when I was hanging out at Ted's shop.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Thanks for raising this thread. i am also keen on hearing others' view on the Super OM. I am tossing between a Super Om and the RS Shorty. I think I have enough reviews on the Shorty, especially coming from Kramster and Lisa. Shorty is an absolute winner for me as far as pricing, tone and playability goes. Before i set this in stone i thought i'd give the Super Om one last consideration.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

Last edited by pandaroo; 11-30-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far. I thought the clips of the shorty sounded a little dark for my tastes. I need to look around the NYC area for a place to try out a few CF guitars.

I also thought about taking a look at Emerald. Not sure if CA is back off the ground after the Peavey acquisition.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far. I thought the clips of the shorty sounded a little dark for my tastes. I need to look around the NYC area for a place to try out a few CF guitars.

I also thought about taking a look at Emerald. Not sure if CA is back off the ground after the Peavey acquisition.
Blueser,

MacNichol guitar is about to post some videos on both Shorty models. You might want to take a listen to the Gloss model as I am understanding that it has a bit of a brighter sound. One has to believe that the fine texture on the soundboard has an effect on the sound on the FT model. Just my two cents.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I briefly had a Blackbird Super OM. It is an excellent guitar...probably one of my favorite fingerpickers. But I sold it soon after I bought it... Carbon fiber guitars are great as they solve a lot of the maintenance issues that you have with your standard wood guitar. But as hard as I try, I just can't seem to bond with a carbon fiber guitar. I'm sticking with wood for now.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
2004 Tim McKnight "Skeeter"
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM

The video on MacNichols website has been posted: the FT vs the Gloss.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM

I own three CF guitars: A "pre-Peavey" CA-OX raw, a RainSong H-DR1100N2, and a Blackbird Super OM Nylon. Also a Martin D-35.

I had a Super OM (steel string) on loan for a week and thought it was a really fine instrument.

As I recall in my "review" I said something to the effect that if I was looking for "one" CF guitar I certainly would not over-look the Super OM! I fingerpick about 99.9% of the time (an old folk blues guy) and I really liked it. Tone, projection, feel -- an all around excellent instrument. Plus, Joe, at Blackbird Guitars, is great to work with.

Just my $0.02.

Ray
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
...Here's an idea - call up Ted at LA Guitar Sales and have him play them both for you on the phone. I've done that with Ted and once did the playing for another AGF member on the phone when I was hanging out at Ted's shop.

JD
I think that was me...the other AGF member. I ended up buying the H-DR1100 N2 and love it! Responsive for light fingerpicking, but will bluegrass with the best HD-28. And no, I didn't go for the 'barndoor' electronics package. I always install a JJB Prestige pickup - no issues, allows amplification with no batteries or electronics and sounds great. I can still use the guitar as a canoe paddle and play it without fail!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber