The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Removing a bridge the cheap way or the right way?

Can you steam off a bridge with a clothes iron - I'd cover the top with foil to protect the finish of course - or should I spend the money to get a more specialized heating iron from LMI? Somebody talk sense into me, please!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:18 PM

An iron works fine, but no steam -- just heat to soften the glue. Protect the top -- the finish goes before the glue does.

You can also heat the knife, but definitely protect the finish in that case.

Study the various techniques via google/youtube before you repeat someone else's mistake.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM

definitely.

I have a clothes Iron I bought for taking a fretboard off.

cardboard will protect the top fro the heat.

the glue will SOFTEN, but you'll still need to get under the edge with a sharp edge. I like using a steel ruler. thin & strong enough, but not sharp enough to lift the top.....

I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
definitely.

I have a clothes Iron I bought for taking a fretboard off.

cardboard will protect the top fro the heat.

the glue will SOFTEN, but you'll still need to get under the edge with a sharp edge. I like using a steel ruler. thin & strong enough, but not sharp enough to lift the top.....

Same one I have. You guys have Home Depot stores?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM

nope. we have Tesco.

obviously they all shop from the same far eastern whole saler!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM

I've used an iron, as well as a heating blanket in the past, but the best method I've found is to heat the bridge with a halogen light. Cover the top with a layer of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil.
This isn't my picture, but it's the method I currently use.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackett Instruments View Post
I've used an iron, as well as a heating blanket in the past, but the best method I've found is to heat the bridge with a halogen light. Cover the top with a layer of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil.
That's really clever, Woody.

I could visualise a similar method being used successfully for fretboard removal.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:48 PM

That's a pretty good idea, woody. I've seen heating lamps used as well. In fact, there's some repair person up in Canada with a Youtube account who used it to remove a bridge from a 1950s-era Martin 000-18. He'd often say "don't burn your French fries" to caution about leaving it unattended which always cracks me up!

My original point was that I'm not a professional luthier or repair guru so I'm looking to do a project or two on the cheap using household items. That being said, I also don't want to ruin a clothes iron either. So my next question is: if I'm steaming off a rosewood bridge, should I cover the heat source with foil to protect it from stains from the natural oils/what-have-you in the wood?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 PM

I can't take credit for the halogen lamp idea. I've seen heat lamps used for years, but didn't have one, and didn't want to buy one. I noticed someone using a halogen lamp on the OLF. I've got halogen lamps so I didn't have to buy anything. If the bridge (or finger board) stains your iron the resin will clean off pretty easily with oven cleaner, but I suppose foil wouldn't hurt anything. I like the light better because it isn't actually touching anything.

Another note, anytime I'm removing a bridge/ fingerboard, or anything else with heat I put a couple soup dishes with damp sponges inside the guitar. I don't know if it's necessary but I don't want the heat to dry anything out.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
if I'm steaming off a rosewood bridge, should I cover the heat source with foil to protect it from stains from the natural oils/what-have-you in the wood?
No steam, of course. Some bridges are "ebonized," and the stain can melt, so covering it with foil probably isn't a bad idea.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Why halogen and not infrared? I would think the latter would be vastly more efficient, as well as being easier on the eyes. I have several different styles and wattages of infrared bulbs.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm55 View Post
Why halogen and not infrared? I would think the latter would be vastly more efficient, as well as being easier on the eyes. I have several different styles and wattages of infrared bulbs.
Halogen bulbs generate alot of heat. I've got a couple halogen lamps I use for lighting, but don't have any infrared lights, or bulbs.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Infrared bulbs generate a lot more heat, faster, and at less wattage. In fact, it is specifically the infrared portion of the halogen bulb's spectrum that is doing the actual heating. Infrared bulbs give you all the heat, but without the accompanying high visible light and UV rays.

You will find infrared bulbs in just about any major chain or hardware store.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair