The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Buying/Pricing NOS guitars

I'm curious everyone's thoughts on what a reasonable discount is for a NOS guitar.

There's a guitar that I'm looking at that's about 3 years old, and it's got different/older appointments (both aesthetic and structural) than the newest version.

It's listed on reverb as "mint," but I called and it's actually a new guitar (the store is an authorized dealer, but can't list discounted items under the MAP). It does have a discount, but it's really not that much off of the 3 year old MAP of the item.

While I don't want to lowball offer, I do want a reasonable ask. Any feedback would definitely be appreciated. Thanks much.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Buying/Pricing NOS guitars

I purchased a 3 year old NOS Taylor 12 string 454ce two years ago. The price was about 30% off MAP and included a full Taylor warranty.

Don’t forget that someone is always running a 15% off sale for current models so that should be your starting price.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 02-23-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:09 AM

My Taylor 310ce was a 1-year-old NOS (there were no structural or electronic differences to the new model at the time). I got $100 off the regular sale price - PLUS the 10% GC discount. Sweetwater could only come within $50 of what I paid.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 AM

If it's a current model/spec guitar then little to none off. Since it's slightly dated, maybe 10-15% off. If they want to rid themselves of it maybe 10%. If it's been maintained properly and unplayed (as new) it's "new". If it's been a demo or floor model with some sign of use then whatever you can negotiate down. It's really between the buyer and seller. As with other specs discussed herein, it's only been since the internet that we as consumers have had immediate access to most (not all) serial numbers indicating manufacture date. Prior I just looked at a guitar for what it was; new or used, make/model, how does it sound. Even then we tried to negotiate 10% off when possible.Good luck with your purchase and don't forget pictures.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 AM

As someone in the retail business, I do occasionally have an item that has been in inventory for 3 years. If a customer offers me an amount to recover my cost and I can reinvest that money into inventory that will move faster, I consider that a blessing. So I'd go ahead and lowball. That can be a win-win. Any bona-fide offer on an item that has been in stock for 3 years is a good offer in my opinion.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
As someone in the retail business, I do occasionally have an item that has been in inventory for 3 years. If a customer offers me an amount to recover my cost and I can reinvest that money into inventory that will move faster, I consider that a blessing. So I'd go ahead and lowball. That can be a win-win. Any bona-fide offer on an item that has been in stock for 3 years is a good offer in my opinion.
^^ this makes sense. i think for taylors and martins, the dealers pay about 50% of msrp. but you have to remember their selling costs on reverb/ebay/paypal and the shipping costs.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Just state that it’s NOS and ask for 10 per cent off MAP.
If they don’t accept I would look elsewhere.
Some of our on line sponsors will be able to fulfill your quest at a decent price.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:27 AM

I recently bought a Martin Authentic from 2012 and managed to get 20% off retail. The guitar only had minimal poslishing swirls. Since the dealer had made a 5$ mistake in the billing I managed to squeeze a set of MSP7200's out of him as well,

Ludwig
Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM

In 1973 I bought a "new" Gibson ES175D. I didn't know it was NOS at the time. I found out last year when I looked up the SN it was a 1968.

In hind sight it was a much better deal. If it was a 1973 it would have been a Harmony box with a Gibson neck and electronics. That was what I thought I had all those years.

If somebody offered what it is clamed to be worth I would sell it in a heart beat and buy a Eastman.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies.

A little more about the situation. I actually recently purchased a new guitar, so my guitar funds are pretty low, and I wasn't planning on getting anything for a while.

However, I've also been on the lookout for a guitar with a specific build day (birth day -- not just year, but day) of my daughter. Randomly found this one, but I probably can't afford it at it's listed price. At about 70% of it's probably(?) doable for me. So it's really just THIS specific guitar at this specific retailer that I'm after.

Bad timing, I guess.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Yes -- being fixated on a single instrument is not the way to get bargains. As lovgren says, lowballing is fine. Offer what works for you, and if they say no, fine. I long ago got over worrying about offering too little. I offer what I can or want to pay, and the seller cab pass if they want more. I would expect a significant discount on a NOS instrument that's 3 years old. There are reasons why it hasn't sold for the asking price, so that value is not there. Ir's costing the seller money by taking up space. I don't jerk sellers around, but I do determine my offer based on what something is worth to me at the point of sale. I don't feel weird if someone rejects my offer, though to be honest that hardly ever happens. I recently bought a great old guitar after offering 1200 for what I've seen listed b/w 1500 - 3000. The guy laughed, then said "what the hay," and agreed. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 PM
Guest 1511

NOS can be tricky. It's technically a "new" guitar since age of manufacture isn't as important with a new guitar (I bought a 2017 J-35 made in 2015) as the fact that it hasn't been sold to anyone yet, and condition. The time you get a discount is if the guitar has been sitting a long time, but not always. It's all vary dependent on the retailer and their mindset. Like others said, I'd shoot for 30% off MAP. 15% is too little as you can usually get that on just about anything anyway.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM

If an item (any item) isn't selling, it's because the price is too high.

I don't think offering 70% is unreasonable at all, in fact my opening offer might be less yet.

As an aside, I think a fair offer depends on the brand of guitar. For example, if it is from a company that regularly markets the newest/latest/greatest guitar miracle - I think NOS value is less than another maker's guitar that is essentially the exact same thing they are currently building... If that makes sense...

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 02-23-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
As an aside, I think a fair offer depends on the brand of guitar. For example, if it is from a company that regularly markets the newest/latest/greatest guitar miracle - I think NOS value is less than another maker's guitar that is essentially the exact same thing they are currently building... If that makes sense...
It does, indeed, make sense. It’s definitely the former in this case.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Make an offer. I recently picked up a NOS 816 for 40% off MAP. I didn’t really need one, but I made an offer and it got accepted. It was a 2014 they had been sitting in the shop for almost 3 years. When I got it, I could see why it hadn’t sold - the strings were ancient and rusted and it was in need of a good cleaning. Still, I’m thrilled with it for the price I paid.

Moral of the story - you can get some low prices on NOS guitars depending on the specific circumstances.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion