The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Default Gibson vs Eastman small guitar opinions?

Need a small guitar for RV travel this coming summer touring Bluegrass festivals across US. Was looking at CF guitars but much prefer the more traditional look and sound of wood.
Have been considering the Gibson LG2 and the Eastman OM 10, anyone have personal experience with either of these models? The Eastman is a bit larger but both are the shorter scale. Price wise pretty close Gibson being used vs. Eastman being new.
From what I can find on YouTube the Eastman makes a pretty good Bluegrass picker, not so sure on the Gibson..
Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM

I suggest you check out the videos of the Farida OT22, which is modeled on the Gibson LG2. Owners of both guitars say they sound and look remarkably alike. I've never owned a Gibson so I can't make that comparison. But I can tell you that the Farida is quite a good guitar, and that it is quite inexpensive compared to the options you were considering.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:42 PM

The Farida has a laminated back and sides which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The Eastman AC-OM1 would be a comparison "apples to apples" price-wise. The Eastman is all solid wood
I probably don't consider the Farida a "Bluegrass" guitar, more of a finger picker for the blues etc. Doesn't mean you cant use it for Bluegrass.
I don't think the Eastman would sound like an LG2 at all so if you like the Gibson voice and the price is pretty close go with that or the Farida.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-21-2018, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up Give it a look

The Gibson *Eagle* is well worth an inspection
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Check out the Eastman E15SS, which is a custom "00" modeled after the Gibson LG-2 (but with a Rosewood body). Ted at LA Guitar Sales still has two of them left and can tell you more about them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion