The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM

I once owned three Seagull dreadnoughts at the same time a while back. Seagull S-6 Original, Seagull Artist Mosaic QII, Seagull M6 Gloss. I presently own a Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk as well.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 01-13-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Here are the three Seagull dreadnoughts I owned at the same time a while back. Left to right, they are Seagull S-6 Original, Seagull Artist Mosaic QII, Seagull M6 Gloss. I presently own a Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk as well.

<<snippet pic>>
Hi Judson, great looking family pic. I like the seagull fretboard inlay on the Artist. You'll need a new pic including the S&P.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM

Not to be too much of a fanboy, but never a bad experience. ..i own 4...a seagull s6+spruce, a la patrie etude, a Godin Kingpin and a Godin Grand Concert Duet ambiance.

I bought them in that order, and each has been better than the last, with the Grand Concert being the finest of that (admittedly, very "niche") type I've ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM

I bought what I think was an S6 Plus (dark stained laminated cherry) back in about 2007 from a local Mom and Pop store. The bridge pin holes were way oversize which let the ball ends of the strings slip past the pins, past the bridge plate, and right into the cedar soundboard. I had it maybe a week before I discovered this, and the store agreed to take it back on exchange.

I then got an S6 Coastline Burst GT. It looked nice enough, but unlike the first S6 it seemed to have no headroom. It sounded OK finger picked but even moderate strumming just sounded bad . . . compressed, and with peculiar overtones. Putting medium gage strings on it helped a ,tonally, but I found the wide neck uncomfortable and when the TRIC case suffered split hinges and a snapped handle within a year, I sold the guitar and never looked back.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Default My first guitar

was a Seagull S6 original and I still play it a lot along with the considerably more expensive guitars I own and it more than holds it's own. I really noticed a pronounced change in volume and tone when "it opened up" 4-5 months into playing it.

I subsequently bought a Godin Exit 22 electric. This model was discontinued about a year at the time I bought it new and with an all hog body, one humbucker and two single coil pups also sounds excellent and like a much more expensive guitar than the $400.00 I paid

When I needed a traveling guitar, I found a beater 2002 Art and Lutherie Ami parlor guitar and love it.

In general, it appears that Godin family of guitars are very good to excellent products at reasonable prices.

John
Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Two Godin products here.

I have a 2003 Arts & Lutherie Cedar. This was back in the day when the rosette was a silk-screened rope pattern. Very plain jane guitar. Sounds fantastic. Only issues is that it is particular about humidity and needs the truss rod twisted left or right about a quarter turn every six months.

Also, more recently, about a year ago I bought a Seagull Coastline Grand Parlor sized guitar. Nice guitar too. Sound is a little thin compared to the Cedar, but it's a parlor sized guitar, probably a 0. Within it's boundaries, it's lovely.

I am itching to get a Seagull Mini-Jumbo, probably the Entourage Rustic. I'd like the SWS Maritime, but have not seen it stocked locally and it's a few more buck$.

Not only do they sound great, but the satisfaction of owning a guitar that has never crossed an ocean is nice.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM

I played a used Simon & Patrick Songsmith burst 12 string today at the store. It was great. I don't see it on the S&P website but it is on the L&M website. The only reason I didn't buy was because it is only $25 cheaper than a new one. I'm going back tomorrow to talk to the salesman.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

My recording of "The Dutchman" was done in front of one mic with a bodhran player sitting next to me in the studio control room. (We added banjo later.) Anyway, the guitar was up to the task, and I think it turned out real sweet. We had access to a couple higher end acoustics, but there was a heat wave and no air conditioning at the studio. I was afraid to play the higher end guitars we borrowed & instead used a brand new S6 I'd bought at GC. I sold the guitar shortly after the sessions.

Sorry it's a MySpace link, but you can listen here: The Dutchman (written by Michael Smith)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM

For those of you who haven't seen this before, here's a Godin factory tour video:

Godin Guitars Acoustic Factory Tour - Youtube
Old 01-12-2015, 04:31 PM

A little late to the party...I have two guitars: a Godin Session electric and a La Patrie Presentation nylon string. These are fantastic guitars and cost right around $1000.00 for the two of them.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjazz77 View Post
A little late to the party...I have two guitars: a Godin Session electric and a La Patrie Presentation nylon string. These are fantastic guitars and cost right around $1000.00 for the two of them.
Those Presentations are nice. I've never played the Session before though. I just googled it, nice looking Strat type guitar. Is yours a Hum-Single-Single pickup config?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2006 Simon & Patrick Woodland Parlor purchased new in '07 for $320. Think they were ready to move it along. This is an older line of the Woodland series, so solid spruce top with laminated cherry sides and back. Just a great workhorse of a guitar. Loud, balanced, resonant despite the laminates, durable and stable despite living by Lake Michigan for a few years. Never had it worked on, adjusted in any way. Nothing but satisfied. Keep 99% of the time in open D or G. Elixir PBs or 80/20 mediums. Use for fingerpicking, strumming & slide. For gigs, after many experiments, I now have a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker in the soundhole.

Here's a sample recorded live straight into the free recording app on my Android phone, altho I think the dynamics of the guitar still come through. https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...e-pillow-take2

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 01-12-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Those Presentations are nice. I've never played the Session before though. I just googled it, nice looking Strat type guitar. Is yours a Hum-Single-Single pickup config?
Yes, humbucker at the bridge and two single coils. I like it better than some of the Fender American strats I've owned.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Had a S6 for 10 years but didn't take care of it and, unfortunately, it died an untimely death. Though it made some beautiful music in its time. Just last Wednesday I brought another S6 Original home. Honestly, very nice guitars. I will be adding either a Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Spruce or a Seagull SWS SG - just want a solid wood guitar in the house.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 PM

I guess I've contributed more to the Godin bottom line than I thought. I have a Maritime Mini Jumbo that's on permanent loan, I guess, to my son; a Nylon Duet Ambience that I perform with regularly and really like; a 5th Avenue Kingpin II that I also really like but am still getting used to, and a Godin A8 electric mandolin. Not a bad one in the bunch; I like buying North American products and I think the Godin family overall makes great-value instruments.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion