The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a great melody, Buzzard.
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Thank you!
You should try that lead again with a little bit of overdrive, just so you can playback and hear the difference between the clean lead and the OD lead.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 AM

One of the things I've learned is that the "hum/hiss" clean-up plug-in that comes with Reaper doesn't handle tremolo very well. And when I employ the Tube Screamer circuit that comes with the amp, it really hums/hisses something awful.

I'm really thinking quite a lot about replacing the pickups with some humbuckers such as these:

Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
One of the things I've learned is that the "hum/hiss" clean-up plug-in that comes with Reaper doesn't handle tremolo very well. And when I employ the Tube Screamer circuit that comes with the amp, it really hums/hisses something awful.

I'm really thinking quite a lot about replacing the pickups with some humbuckers such as these:

Hey Buzz, I get an error when I try to play the video.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't advise switching pickups in a new high-end electric guitar so quickly. You need to learn to get the most out of the equipment the way it is first.

You should evaluate whether the pedals in your effect chain are the best fit for the guitar instead of the other way around IMO.

Also, try changing the order your pedals are lined up first. That's free.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Video not showing here. Just some general thoughts have just gone electric last year

Love the song example..... A suggestion for experimentation besides any drive or boost or FX's going into the recording to distinguish the electric. Another thing you can play with while mixing (maybe you already do this ) just a little bit of subtractive EQing (called carving out space) in different freq. ranges for the acoustic Rhythm and electric lead

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-07-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Buzz, I get an error when I try to play the video.
Try going here first and then clicking on the video.

http://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/Mo...-Quiet-Coils#/
Old 01-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Video not showing here. Just some general thoughts have just gone electric last year

Love the example and a suggestion for experimentation besides any drive or boost or FX's going into the recording to distinguish the electric. Another thing you can play with while mixing (maybe you already do this ) just a little bit of subtractive EQing (called carving out space) in different freq. ranges for the acoustic Rhythm and electric lead
These sorts of principles are great. I'm slowly developing a set of "rules" and "toolkits" to guide my mixing.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I wouldn't advise switching pickups in a new high-end electric guitar so quickly. You need to learn to get the most out of the equipment the way it is first.

You should evaluate whether the pedals in your effect chain are the best fit for the guitar instead of the other way around IMO.

Also, try changing the order your pedals are lined up first. That's free.
Thank you for your suggestion. This seems wise.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've received my new (and first) electric guitar, amp, and pedals. It's wonderful and I've pretty much lost myself for about two days. I'm a happy camper.
Congrats on your choices and negotiating your way through (what I believe to be) the very dizzying world of electric guitar stuff. I went through something similar but limited self to the world of Fender which makes things a little easier. When I was coming up Fender seemed to be the go-to brand; and despite not considering myself an "electric guy," Fender remains my default source of electric guitars/amps when I get the itch...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 PM

Just curious a lot of Tele and Tele type guitars cancel hum quite well but only on the middle switch setting with both pickups engaged. Does your guitar do that?

I wouldn't personally try to use a plugin effect to reduce hum after the recording. I would instead try to get the hum levels lower at the source.
Hopefully your new amp is not the hum source.

You might just have a very noisy environment

You could certainly replace the pickups with hum cancelling ones. The Dimarzio Area T pickups sound great to my ears, still like a Tele should sound but are very quiet.

It's good advice though to see what you can do with your guitar as it is now though, it is a fine guitar.

I like your tune I think you will enjoy the electric guitar.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-08-2018, 06:09 PM

If you are just gonna play at home, I'd go for an American made Strat or Tele, hooked up to Blues Jr.
Good luck!!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch2017 View Post
If you are just gonna play at home, I'd go for an American made Strat or Tele, hooked up to Blues Jr.
Good luck!!
You might want to actually read the thread first...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 AM

I have seen the Cutlass. Looks top notch. I i didnt already have a Fendr EJ Strat I would probsby consider one.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 AM

A vote for the Blues Jr. Mine can be chimey clean, pushed into a nice overdrive and takes pedals nicely.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars