The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Nylon string non-invasive pickup/pre combo

I realize this has been hashed out and I have scoured threads. But there is new gear out there (iRig Acoustic etc.)
I have a 50 year old (this year) nylon guitar I love. Not going to drill etc.., but would like to start playing it out. Within "financial reason" what are opinions on best pickup/mic and pre combo? It would go through a Fishman mini and into a qsc k8. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Though I am not sure what dollar amount range to assign to "within financial reason", I will be interested in this thread too. I have a mic and an attachable pickup mic for this purpose, but these are $500 and $600 solutions. From what I have seen so far, you pretty much get what you pay for in this area. Responses in this thread could completely change that view.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Within financial reason is vague. I meant something less than "if cost were no object" and more than "if budget were the only consideration..."
Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Some examples. All in at less than $250 I think.

These are more vocal mics but in the nylon string community they are recommended as good for nylon.

Audio-Technica AT831B Lavalier Condenser Microphone

Audio-Technica PRO 70 Cardioid Condenser Lavalier

These are more instrument mics. I think the flamenco crowd leans to the lavalier designs but these may be easier to deal with. If you like the way the clip on is designed. I think I prefer the lavalier attachment method.

Audio-Technica ATM350 Cardioid Condenser Clip-on Instrument Microphone

Audio-Technica PRO 35 Cardioid Condenser Clip-on Instrument Microphone

hunter
Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
....I have a 50 year old (this year) nylon guitar I love. Not going to drill etc.., but would like to start playing it out. Within "financial reason" what are opinions on best pickup/mic and pre combo?......
You have said "not going to drill" -- but then you also said "pickup".....

While there are a few exceptions, most of the pickups used for classical guitar would at least require an end-pin (1/4") jack -- akin to a strap button. If you can live with that, there are a number of pickup options to discuss.

If you are opposed to any hole being added to the guitar what-so-ever, then I think the guidance already provided regarding microphones is your best option.

I will also add my own experience regarding playing out with nylon-string guitars: for the environments I encountered (crowded wine bars, coffee shops, backyard parties, patios, etc) a microphone was just too problematic. I had to use a pick-up. My favorite pickup option (thus far) for a nylon string is a Barberra transducer, number two option is a Baggs hexaphonic , third runner-up is a K&K mini classic. I use no batteries inside the instruments; I run a fairly short instrument cable (10' or less) to a Red-Eye pre-amp.

Just sharing my own observations. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification