The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Default New Used Pickup Day! NUPD

Ok.. LONG story...
Recently bought a used '08 Gibson J-45. It was special purchase for me and has a real sweet acoustic tone it. I'd been told "it's a good one".. Red Spruce top has aged nice.

So it came with a Pickup in it... one I was not familiar with.. Highlander iP-2 which is a dual source model. It has built-in preamp and an under saddle element as well as 2nd input for another pickup or mic.

Anyways, when I plugged it in.. It really sounded bad .. Thin, plinky, bright and no bass. So I found their website and looked to see if their was a guitar tech in my area. Figure I can pay him a few bucks to check it out. So anyways, they had one close by and he was available. So I bring it in and he checks it out by plugging in to his amp... He says, "yep that's the way they sound". So we talked a bit and I decided to remove it.... So he takes it out and I also had him make me a new bone saddle. The old one was not so hot and shaved too low anyways. I figured I'd get it set up proper and figure out the pickup down the road.

OK.... So I get the guitar back (later that day which was cool) ... But after playing for a day or so.. I start feeling that the guitar acoustically sounds not as good as before. Hmmmm..

So this is where it gets better...... So at the suggestion of a fellow AGF'r.. I start looking at the Trance Amulet M. I even find a used 1 here in town and was about to buy. But it was also suggested I find out from Trance if the Amulet is compatible with my guitar's underside and bridge etc... SO I send email to Gary at Trance with a photo. I also mentioned it was used.. So not to waste his time too much.

The next day I get a call from Gary! We have a really nice conversation, Enjoyed getting to know one another a bit. But when it came to the possible install of the Amulet ... He said there may be a "snag". He explained that the Highlander required a "Trough" or Grove as they call it ... in the bridge to accommodate the pickup. He also said that the Highlander needs to be "tucked" into the bridge (trough),, So the saddle makes proper and even contact. So the reason I wasn't happy with the sound could be the saddle is not making contact with bridge,

He said the Amulet "may" not sound it's best unless the bridge (Trough) was filled or preferably routed out properly. (Prob need a new saddle too). He also said, that with the trough there... The saddle isn't making proper contact to the bridge and effect the sound... negatively.

Long story short...... I thought, Well, Maybe the original Highlander wasn't seated in the bridge properly. So I "reinstalled it" following the instructions from website. BINGO.... Sounds super! Clear, clean and very balanced.

Shout out to Gary at Trance Audio!

Oh and an obligatory pict of my baby!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=JakeStone;5262225]
Figure I can pay him a few bucks to check it out. So anyways, they had one close by and he was available. So I bring it in and he checks it out by plugging in to his amp... He says, "yep that's the way they sound".

I think I would have an issue with this repair person. If he was listed by Highlander as a certified tech, I would call Highlander and tell them this story. I am guessing he would be removed from their list in short order.

Steve
Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Glad it all worked out for you.

That being said, please don't go back to that tech.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM

Jake - I had that Highlander pick-up on two Martins in the past, and they were pretty terrific. Sounds like you arrived at a nice solution.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20 and I should have read the Highlander installation guide before I even called him. But he should have delved a bit deeper before suggesting to remove it. I don't think he had much experience with the pickup before.

But good news is the guitar sounded "great" before all this... But sounds even better now! Both acoustically and plugged.. Can't wait to get outta work !
Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM

I had a Highlander in a Collings D3 that I eventually sold. Wish I still hadn't let her go. It sounded great. I regret having to have the saddle routed out. That is pretty destructive to a pretty important part of your instrument. If you ever removed it then your in a bit of a mess. Since Highlander came out with it's braided piezo material they got form the military, there has been a few other versions of braided material that is more flattened than round. The Baggs Element for one. The highlander sounds more acoustic than the Element in my opinion. Good for your for taking matters into your own hands.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I had a Highlander in a Collings D3 that I eventually sold. Wish I still hadn't let her go. It sounded great. I regret having to have the saddle routed out. That is pretty destructive to a pretty important part of your instrument. If you ever removed it then your in a bit of a mess. Since Highlander came out with it's braided piezo material they got form the military, there has been a few other versions of braided material that is more flattened than round. The Baggs Element for one. The highlander sounds more acoustic than the Element in my opinion. Good for your for taking matters into your own hands.
Appreciate the reply...

Ya.. The routing to accommodate a pickup is pretty destructive and limits options for changing things. I'd have to "level" the bridge should I ever want to change to some other style or ever decide to remove the pickup altogether.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That saves you some money and extra work and Gary Hull Rocks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 PM

A "no cost" solution that sounds great is the best solution! Congrats on the investigation and resolution.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys..
This Acoustic Amplification section Rocks!

Esp to Sprucetop.. He gets a "Gold Star" for recommending earlier in week that I contact Gary Hull at Trance Audio before I do "anything" ...
Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Love Highlanders! Not exactly "my guitar, only louder", but rich, full and beautiful. I have an IP2 with the Highlander mic installed in my Brazilian - German Spruce Zimnicki Grand Concert and it's so good I usually end up running it without the mic. Best, most satisfying amplified tone I've heard to date, but, as I said, not exactly M.G.O.L.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks guys..

This Acoustic Amplification section Rocks!

Esp to Sprucetop.. He gets a "Gold Star" for recommending earlier in week that I contact Gary Hull at Trance Audio before I do "anything" ...

Agreed. Ken has advised me on amplification problems more than once. Three cheers for Ken. Hip hip hooray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM

So was the guitar already routed for that little channel and it just needed to be tucked in?
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
So was the guitar already routed for that little channel and it just needed to be tucked in?
Sorry Dave - didn't see the question until today.

Yes.. the bridge was already routed perfectly. The pickup just needed to be tucked in properly.

Sounds really good now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification