The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Help changing pickguard

Can anyone give me instructions on changing out my pickguard on my ibanez rg. Do I just unscrew it and put the new one on or is it more complicated? I'm just switching out my solid black one to a mirrored one. I want to keep my pickups and everything the same. I have tried to find info online
Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 AM

On almost all electric guitars with large pickguards, the pick-ups are mounted to the pickguard, not the body... and often the switches and pots are too. What this means is that the pick-ups, selector switches, and pots all have to be detached from the old pickguard and installed into the new one. It's not rocket science but you must pay very careful attention to certain things:

) The location of each component. It's surprisingly easy to get things mixed up if components are identical
) The rotational orientation of the pots and the pot knobs so they go back with the same function as before. You'll have to pull the pot knobs off to get at the mounting nus and to get the pots through the mounting holes.
) Distance from pickup poles to strings dictates responsiveness of each pickup so this must be re-set where it was when the pickups are installed in the new pickguard. Don't rely on a measurement of how far your pickups are above the top of the pickguard. If the thickness of the new pickguard is not the same as your old one then the pickup height will not be correct.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 AM

The ibanez has everything mounted to the pickguard.

It also has the input jack wired to the pickguard through the body and that allows you to lift it about 1 inch, the other two wires are a single rear earth wire soldered to rear spring plate in the term area and ibanez uses a grounded paint so the pickguard is also wired to a screw in the body

If you have to ask your possibly out of your league on this one.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for the input! I think this is out of my league, so I will get someone to do it for me. I can play guitar but I am not the most skilled person when it comes to fiddling around with them. I would probably screw it up somehow knowing me. Thanks again everyone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair