The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-08-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Taylor UV finish lift at neck joint

My 2000 812ce has developed a finish lift where the body (gloss) meets the neck (satin). I'm the original owner and I'd say the guitar has been well cared for over the years. Pretty sure I didn't bang it and there's no damage to the neck joint itself. In the photo, the line showing on the neck heel itself and the reflection of the neck binding on the body are just that: reflections. But as you can see, there's a portion of the body finish lifting and the beginnings of small cracks in the varnish closer to the guitar top where that has occured. So... is this a do-it-yourself job for an amateur, typically a warranty job 'lo these many years later, or something a pro should address? I'm in Boston and El Cajon is a looooong way away - so I'm hesitant to ship it back to its birthplace unless necessary. Anyone seen anything like this or have thoughts that might help me decide on a course of action? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Looks familiar. My friend shipped his GC8e back. The repair is perfect but they did shake him down for a refresh. The refresh plus shipping both ways was not cheap. The back and sides were refinished. I thought it interesting, since the top had a few dings, that they did not offer (for more money) to refinish it or at least drop fill the dings.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-08-2017, 04:26 PM

I have two different 2001 models (410 and 414) that show a little lifting of the finish at edges, but not nearly as bad as yours. Both of mine are satin finishes, but I've seen some lifting like that on glossy too.

There are a select few shops around the country that are now "certified" by Taylor to repair the UV cured finishes. Customer service in San Diego can tell you who they are, and you might not have to ship quite so far. Working with UV cured polyurethane is not a DIY repair, IMO. You would be far more likely to make it worse than to fix it, unless you are experienced with finish repair work. You would have to ask, but you being the original owner, it should be a warranty repair.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Ideally find a local taylor authorised place.

It is a very easy repair to do, but you will need to take the neck off for access to the delamination.

Taking the neck off and putting it back on is around 30 minutes work, repairing the delam is about 10 minutes work.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the thoughts - very helpful as I think this through.

Mirwa: this one is an early 2000, a few months before Taylor made the NT neck standard. It has a set neck.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Even if it isn't an NT neck, it is still a bolt-on. Much less work than steaming apart a dovetail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair