The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the confidence booster Mau, John and Bruce! Let's hope that they do indeed not adhere so strictly to the books and that I have the success you all have had

Rog, I am in fact planning to stop by San Francisco haha

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I am in fact planning to stop by San Francisco haha
If your flight takes off from or lands in the US, the airline must comply with US law, which requires that airline personnel allow you to take the guitar into the cabin, provided there is room for it.

My Fretboard Journal article on the subject.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
If your flight takes off from or lands in the US, the airline must comply with US law, which requires that airline personnel allow you to take the guitar into the cabin, provided there is room for it.

My Fretboard Journal article on the subject.
Wow, thanks. That's very helpful! What about if I were to take off from Canada? Would such a law still apply?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Wow, thanks. That's very helpful! What about if I were to take off from Canada? Would such a law still apply?
Marcus, I think the answers that you received pretty much cover the whole spectrum.

Law or no law, if there's no room for your guitar, you aren't bringing it in the cabin. Best to assume that you have to gate check it -- and there's nothing wrong with that if your case provides decent protection.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Lots of threads about air travel.

The basics:

* Buy a Hiscox Pro II case (about $300)

* Detune about a full step

* Remove EVERYTHING from the case but the guitar. If there's a battery in your guitar, remove it too (looks like a bomb on the X-ray machine)!

* Hand carry your guitar to the gate. If you can't get it on the plane, gate check it.

* Wrap the headstock in something like a good old undershirt to insure it is snug.

* If your guitar has an end pin, remove it.

* Your guitar may come back to you with regular luggage or outsized baggage. Check both places.

* DO NOT LOCK YOUR GUITAR CASE!!!! If it ends up going through with your regular luggage (some places require this) they will bust it open to check the guitar if needs be.

* Insure your guitar if it is valuable. Heritage or USAA (if you are military).

Relax and enjoy the trip!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The law applies only if your flight takes off or lands in the US.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Thanks so much for the great advice guys, very much appreciated!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Default other thoughts

If you don't like the Hiscox (great cases!), there is a company whose name I forget who makes lightweight but sturdy cases into which you can put your regular case. They are essentially the plastic cardboard from which signs are often made and they have a very heavy duty Velcro to which their wheels can be fastened and used once you get to the airport. They are coffin-shaped and you can fill the spaces between them and your regular case with clothing.

Put a sock over the headstock before putting in the bubblewrap. Some finishes react with plastic. And also some finishes will be OK in the lower temperatures of the hold, but I'd try to avoid that if you possibly can. If you can't, you may be just fine anyhow - assuming you don't have nitro. For noon-nitro guitars, I suspect the greater danger is in the handling, not in the packing or the lower temperatures and a good flight case or this kind of over-case should go a long way toward protecting it from baggage handles Put on lots of highly legible "FRAGILE" stickers.

And insure it separately with a 3rd party.

And take out any batteries.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the confidence booster Mau, John and Bruce! Let's hope that they do indeed not adhere so strictly to the books and that I have the success you all have had

Rog, I am in fact planning to stop by San Francisco haha
Seriously? Let me know when, we should meet up. I have room at my house if you need a place to crash (and don't mind cats).
Old 03-09-2017, 09:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

When I gate check fragile cases like Calton or Hoffee I wrap them in cardboard to protect them from damage. A regular guitar shipping carton can be cut down to a trapezoidal shape with a hole for the cases handle. Still easy to carry, and it will probate to the case from conveyor damage.

If you are in SF I am 28 car minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge and charge nothing for my 6 bit tour as long as you play a guitar or two . . Or three . . . Or four . . . Etc.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Smile One more tip

Lots of great advice here! Since you do NOT want to lock your case! I would put some strapping tape over the latches. Then TSA can get in to check and you don't need to worry about latches giving way...

Tune down, pad the headstock really well, remove end pin and battery and pad the end if you can. You can not be too careful, and an ounce of Prevention is worth the proverbial pound of cure!

Good luck and have fun

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-11-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If you don't like the Hiscox (great cases!), there is a company whose name I forget who makes lightweight but sturdy cases into which you can put your regular case. They are essentially the plastic cardboard from which signs are often made and they have a very heavy duty Velcro to which their wheels can be fastened and used once you get to the airport. They are coffin-shaped and you can fill the spaces between them and your regular case with clothing.

Put a sock over the headstock before putting in the bubblewrap. Some finishes react with plastic. And also some finishes will be OK in the lower temperatures of the hold, but I'd try to avoid that if you possibly can. If you can't, you may be just fine anyhow - assuming you don't have nitro. For noon-nitro guitars, I suspect the greater danger is in the handling, not in the packing or the lower temperatures and a good flight case or this kind of over-case should go a long way toward protecting it from baggage handles Put on lots of highly legible "FRAGILE" stickers.

And insure it separately with a 3rd party.

And take out any batteries.
Sounds like something I could explore, thanks for the suggestion! I guess I shall buy plenty of Fragile and Glass stickers to stick all over it too haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Lots of great advice here! Since you do NOT want to lock your case! I would put some strapping tape over the latches. Then TSA can get in to check and you don't need to worry about latches giving way...

Tune down, pad the headstock really well, remove end pin and battery and pad the end if you can. You can not be too careful, and an ounce of Prevention is worth the proverbial pound of cure!

Good luck and have fun

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul. Taping over the latches sounds like a great idea! Yup, I am especially paranoid when it comes to the safety of my guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Seriously? Let me know when, we should meet up. I have room at my house if you need a place to crash (and don't mind cats).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
When I gate check fragile cases like Calton or Hoffee I wrap them in cardboard to protect them from damage. A regular guitar shipping carton can be cut down to a trapezoidal shape with a hole for the cases handle. Still easy to carry, and it will probate to the case from conveyor damage.

If you are in SF I am 28 car minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge and charge nothing for my 6 bit tour as long as you play a guitar or two . . Or three . . . Or four . . . Etc.
Thanks Rog and Bruce for the hospitality! I shall drop you guys a PM should my trip there be confirmed

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rog and Bruce for the hospitality! I shall drop you guys a PM should my trip there be confirmed
Sounds like you may be creating a mini SF Bay Area AGF meetup at this rate. Let us know when it is!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile Case cover...

Hope this works...

https://www.casextreme.com/

Good luck!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Hope this works...

https://www.casextreme.com/

Good luck!

Cheers

Paul
Those look really nice Paul and under 300.00. If I fly some down to Texas, I will definitely look into these!!!! Great link.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop