The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Default Cramps!?

My acoustic duo has played 2-3 gigs/month for the last 3 years. We played this past weekend our usual 4 hour / 4 set gig. In the beginning of the 4th set I suddenly look down at my fretting hand ring finger and realize that it's bent flat against my palm and I can't straighten it out! Forearm cramp! I pried it back open and somehow survived to the end of the song and then took a few moments to do some quick massage and work it out, but boy it felt like it could re-trigger at any time. That was not a fun way to finish out the gig!

Anyone else experience this? Any quick remedies? Any prevention advice? I know I'm not a 'death-grip' kind of guy, so maybe I'm too relaxed and have lost muscle tone (I'm 55). Do grip strength exercisers actually work?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 PM

The only time I've had terrible cramps it was my calf muscles in my teens. I had recently started a job as a diswasher in a restaurant, spending many hours each evening on a concrete floor in very humid conditions. I also stopped my regular home cooked dinner at around 6:00 and traded it for restaurant food at 9:00 pm. I would wake up in the middle of the night with cramps. For whatever reason I've never had cramps from my shoulders to fingertips despite often playing 4 to 6 hours a day for days at a time on occasion.

So I would look at any changes in activity, diet or habits in the past year or so. Often cramps are caused by electrolyte imbalance. If you have a regular doctor I would start there, not the AGF.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:51 AM

It sounds like a typical "trigger finger".

What happens is that the tendons that control finger movement develop fibrous or calcified nodules that make it difficult for the tendons to telescope as they flex and extend.

I see problems like this frequently in my professional life (I'm a chiropractor). In my practice, I use soft tissue work, acupuncture, and microcurrent after addressing any mechanical restrictions in the wrist and hand.

I suggest you consult a professional (chiropractor, physiotherapist or physiatrist) that has experience in this area.

I'd advise against using grip strength equipment as it may aggravate the problem. The self-help advice I routinely give is to warm the hands under running water first thing in the morning and follow this with a mobilization and stretching routine for the wrists and hands.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 AM

I doubt that what you're experiencing is just a muscle cramp.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM

The left ring finger is also a frequent location for Dupuytren's Contracture. If this is the case, it really should be assessed by a professional as this condition can progress to a disabling degree in rare cases.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM

Yeah, finger locked into place is not a "cramp."

Although for cramps, stay hydrated. As for this, I'd see a doctor, catch this early so you ain't running into bigger problems down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
In the beginning of the 4th set I suddenly look down at my fretting hand ring finger and realize that it's bent flat against my palm and I can't straighten it out! Forearm cramp! I pried it back open and somehow survived to the end of the song and then took a few moments to do some quick massage and work it out, but boy it felt like it could re-trigger at any time. That was not a fun way to finish out the gig!
Exactly! I have been there and think I still have damage to this day. It's like a weakness in my forearm. I have no remedy. I started playing some chords differently. E bar chords were out. I started playing them without barring with the pointer finger. Let the bass player or the other guitar player cover the bass. Change things up when chording, often, as repetitive motion is the problem.

Good Luck

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write