The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM

Talking What strings do you like on your X20?

I recently purchased a X20 from someone on the forum and it came with EJ16's which is what I usually use. Honestly, I'm not too impressed with the sound of the guitar so far and I'm looking for new strings to try out. I'm considering trying Elixir 80/20 Nano Lights next. Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2017, 07:16 PM

I had nano lights on for awhile and really liked them. Thought I would try D'addario EXP and HATE them. If that helps. I've never felt quite that strongly about strings before, they sounded ok for like...a day and it's only been 2 weeks and I'll be changing back to Elixirs tomorrow
Old 02-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
I had nano lights on for awhile and really liked them. Thought I would try D'addario EXP and HATE them. If that helps. I've never felt quite that strongly about strings before, they sounded ok for like...a day and it's only been 2 weeks and I'll be changing back to Elixirs tomorrow
Well...I guess I am just the opposite...I tried several, but came back to the EXP 16s... CORRECTION: I am still playing the D'addario Nashville Tuned Strings on my X-20!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Well...I guess I am just the opposite...I tried several, but came back to the EXP 16s... CORRECTION: I am still playing the D'addario Nashville Tuned Strings on my X-20!!!
Variety is the spice of life! Yea, they just died on me really quick, bad batch? I do really want to try Nashville Tuning sometime...sounds like fun
Old 02-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I have used Elixir nanoweb pb .12s on everything from Takamine, Ibanez, Taylor, Martin, and Larrivee, to Adamas, Rainsong, Composite Acoustics, and my Emrald T20 and X20. Yeah, I dig those strings! I'm curious about cleartones though... Anybody ever tried a set on a cf guitar before? If so, thoughts?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 PM

So far my X20 has liked Elixir PB Nano Custom Lights and Cleartone PB Custom Lights. When I get my X7 in June I will string it with Cleartone Lights and see how they do.

I really like Elixirs but they don't offer the gauges I want.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Seems like people prefer PB over 80 20.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:10 PM

I've always liked PB with (wait for it) jelly!!

Thank you! I'll be here until Thursday! Tip your waitstaff!

I couldn't resist - every time I see 'PB" I think Peanut Butter, not Phosphor Bronze. :-p
Old 02-05-2017, 11:49 PM

The strings that I most commonly use are:

Elixir PB Nanoweb
D'Addario EJ-16 or EJ-17
GHS White Bronze (52% nickle)

Although I stray from these options from time to time, they are my go-to string choices on all my guitars, wood or CF. I bounce between mediums and lights, depending on the guitar and what I'm working on lately. Sometimes I use medium-lights (medium bass side, light gauge treble) because I tune down often and don't want the basses getting floppy.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belerian View Post
I recently purchased a X20 from someone on the forum and it came with EJ16's which is what I usually use. Honestly, I'm not too impressed with the sound of the guitar so far and I'm looking for new strings to try out. I'm considering trying Elixir 80/20 Nano Lights next. Any thoughts?
Do you use a pick, or do you finger pick ?

If you use flat picks, maybe trying a few different types of picks could help improve the sound of your X20 with these EJ16 strings.

I have a large number of different type of flat picks, made of different material, different thickness, and different sizes and shapes. Nothing expensive, very frugal really.

It amazes me how much the sound of my guitar can change (sometimes good or bad) based only on which flat pick I use.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
I've always liked PB with (wait for it) jelly!!

Thank you! I'll be here until Thursday! Tip your waitstaff!

I couldn't resist - every time I see 'PB" I think Peanut Butter, not Phosphor Bronze. :-p
I often think "Personal Best", when I can stop thinking about "Psycho Billy", "Point Blank", "Packard Bell", "Performance Bikes" and weirdly, "Parsons Brinckerhoff"
Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Do you use a pick, or do you finger pick ?

If you use flat picks, maybe trying a few different types of picks could help improve the sound of your X20 with these EJ16 strings.

I have a large number of different type of flat picks, made of different material, different thickness, and different sizes and shapes. Nothing expensive, very frugal really.

It amazes me how much the sound of my guitar can change (sometimes good or bad) based only on which flat pick I use.
Oops. I should have mentioned that I fingerstyle
Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Guest 928

Belerian;

I've found that with both steel and nylon cf instruments the material is incredibly touchy when it comes to strings. I've had wood guitars where I could use any string and get about the same sound and projection. But with cf different strings sound distinctly different. As 121 pointed out, finger vs pick play is an important factor in cf string choice.

When I first got into cf, with the Cargo, I found the string choice bothersome. But as I tried more cf guitars and got used to the idea I found that I really liked the differences possible with the same instrument and varied strings. And once I've found the strings that work best for me I'm happy. Hopefully you'll find the strings that suit you best.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM

I am currently using some GHS contact Core strings that Michael Stone thought might work for X20. I don't know if they are my favorite, but I like them enough to keep using them.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber