The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 AM

Default Shane Briggs Italian Spruce/Satinbox OM

Hello again,

This is another build from Shane Briggs. He previously built me an Italian Spruce/Australian Blackwood piece that still resides with me!

I've got three in the commission pipeline in the future...so you know I'm kinda hooked! Anyway, since to share is to care, I'd like to share with this new piece.

This build features Shane's favourite spruce of choice: Italian Spruce and a very special set of back and sides made from Satinbox (Phebalium squameum).

Satinbox is an under-storey tree that grows next to Australian Blackwood. Superficially, it resembles the whiteness of holly wood or very bleached eastern maple but it looks more like 'albino' Australian Blackwood to me because the figuring and grain looks similar to me.

The Satinbox was sourced from the same person who sustainably harvests Australian Blackwood for Maton. The supplier indicated that since Satinbox was a small tree it is hard to get suitable guitar-sized sets, let alone figured ones!

This set happens to be well figured! Owing to its rarity, Shane and I have dubbed it: 'UNICORN' WOOD.

The guitar is a slight tweak to Shane's usual 'Model One' and leans more towards the OM shape and features a traditional dovetail neck rather than the bolt on. There is also less of an arch on the soundboard (ala Sobell).

Here is the back plate with Australian Red Cedar bindings.

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7112 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

And solid kerfings to go with Satinbox double sides

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7058 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Did I mention this stuff is rare and PRETTY!

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7050 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

I know, I know, the top has streaks. It's not pure white and unblemished but the top sounds so good and if it wasn't for unrealistic consumer expectations on aesthetics and tonal quality, we'd probably have more appreciation for what we actually have! But I'm not fussed. Good spruce is good spruce is good spruce is good spruce.

I have to give a shout out to Bruce Sexauer for pointing this face out to me 10years ago on the inter webs when I was young and naive thinking good tone came from good looking woods!

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7136 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

In the nude...

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7157 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not so nude, Shane was nice enough to throw in a mahogany neck that's been seasoning for quite awhile. It is stunning! Mahogany is very under-rated.

Oh, he also threw in some bindings for free.

thumbnail_IMG_7202 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr

Back of the unicorn...

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7212 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

The aesthetics are similar and recall the stylings on my Italian Spruce/Australian Blackwood build. I like the relationship!

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7225 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

More to come folks...
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Looking good! Except that few photos did not come out.

What are Shane's thoughts on the sonic attributes of the back and sides. Similar to Tassie blackwood or something else again?

Thanks for another great thread,
Col
Old 02-04-2017, 01:03 AM

Hey mate,

The only descriptions I've heard from Shane are that it's dense and rings. Which could mean anything! Either way, I trust him to bring the best out of the box.

I would imagine that growing next to Blackwood it would be similar owing to climate, soil conditions, etc, etc. But I'm only guessing!

Will be sure to post a clip when it's finished.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:39 AM

Woah that's a really pretty set of wood! Just wish there was a close up of the figure with some finish of on it which I'm sure will pop up soon enough

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-04-2017, 09:14 AM

This is certainly going to have a unique feel to it for sure with the lightness of both front and back. I will also add that I have had more than one luthier tell me that everything considered, and they can't just come out a say it, Italian Spruce is the best top wood period despite everything that people say about any other including German, take that for what it is worth and people will disagree, I am just saying what I have been told by some very very knowledgeable folks so I believe them. Even if some will argue that it is not, it is right there with the very very best. So congrats on that, it will sound fantastic, I can just feel that in my bones!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:22 PM

Congrats! I find Shane's work inspiring and from the clips I've heard his guitars sound just as superb as they look. I'm a huge Italian Spruce fan myself
Old 02-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitbuqa View Post

And solid kerfings to go with Satinbox double sides

You would need to be of a certain age to get the above.

Anyway, nice looking guitar! Great looking top! Clean work!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Woah that's a really pretty set of wood! Just wish there was a close up of the figure with some finish of on it which I'm sure will pop up soon enough
Hey Marcus,

Here's the first few coats of finish.

[IMG]Untitled by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Gotta love a good mahogany neck!

Love this angle and way the light makes the figure stand out

Shane sorting through some Brazilian Rosewood headstock veneers

Bindings and purfling!

Last edited by Kitbuqa; 02-05-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Strahm View Post
Congrats! I find Shane's work inspiring and from the clips I've heard his guitars sound just as superb as they look. I'm a huge Italian Spruce fan myself
Hey Stephen, I like your work too! I liked the clip Gretchen Menn did with your guitar and the Adi/Hog that went to GuitarGallery.

I was stoked to be able to tag along with Shane to pick out Italian Spruce from his supplier. I can understand what constitutes 'kid in a candy shop' for luthiers!
Old 02-05-2017, 02:24 AM

Here are some prettier shots, nearing the last coats of finish!

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7465 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Figures...

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7469 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7466 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]

I can't believe it's not butter!

[IMG]thumbnail_IMG_7474 by Imperialsilk, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

It is a fantastic looking guitar, but if you put BRW on the head stock it could make any subsequent trip overseas by this guitar a pain in the proverbial or worse. Why not use a different wood, there are plenty to choose from?

Not wishing to be negative, just practical.
Col
Old 02-05-2017, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
It is a fantastic looking guitar, but if you put BRW on the head stock it could make any subsequent trip overseas by this guitar a pain in the proverbial or worse. Why not use a different wood, there are plenty to choose from?

Col
The guitar already has a headstock veneer (a veneer is selected and laminated much earlier in the neck construction process) and the photo just is showing the luthier sorting through a stack of veneers next to the nearly completed guitar.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post

Col
It's a fair point Col! Not negative at all.

This one's not going overseas anytime soon. Besides Im reticent to carry any overseas. Selling on the other-hand...eek!

Besides, owing to its rarity. Id love to see it reside on native shores for a long while!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful guitar. Elegant.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 PM

So much to like here. In addition to the overall elegance in simplicity, I really like the body shape with the slope shouldered upper bouts. Nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop