The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2017, 04:16 PM

Here are the rosette pieces, separate, then glued in place, and a test I did in photoshop to work out some stain ideas. The color blends will extend up the maple fret markers and probably continue on to the headstock back plate. I'm still working out ideas for the headstock.

Last edited by Glenn23; 07-10-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely beautiful--this is going to be one stunning guitar!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Man, that is some out-of-the-box thinking right there. Truly striking! This is fun to follow.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:05 PM

OK, that's enough, you need to stop this immediately!!!! Liking overload!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Wow, I love your aesthetics so much!!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-28-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Absolutely beautiful--this is going to be one stunning guitar!
Thanks! I'm really pleased with how the elements are balancing so far.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Man, that is some out-of-the-box thinking right there. Truly striking! This is fun to follow.
Thanks, it's alway nice, when working at the edge, to have someone yelling "jump!"
Old 01-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
OK, that's enough, you need to stop this immediately!!!! Liking overload!
Can't stop! Having too much fun!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Wow, I love your aesthetics so much!!
Such great support on this forum. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello Glenn,
I went back and revisited your "Mahogany Momma" thread, following the link that you provided earlier in this new thread. Many people have commented (and rightfully so) that your approach to guitar building is very "organic".

Since I was a young child, I've embraced and understood the idea that my Creator created me to be a creative being...and I find great pleasure in being able to appreciate the beauty found in the world around me. I look at nature, from the microscopic to the workings of our Solar System...and beyond, and I can't help but understand that there is "Intelligent Design" behind it all.

I bring this up only to offer perspective for what I'm about to say: Your sense of design and your eye for combining color and textural elements resonates strongly with my personal rhythms. I'm fascinated by your ability to create a final form that fits right into the natural, beautiful world around me...an "organic" form with "intelligent design" behind its creation.

Thank you for sharing this with us all,
Joel Teel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Hello Glenn,
I went back and revisited your "Mahogany Momma" thread, following the link that you provided earlier in this new thread. Many people have commented (and rightfully so) that your approach to guitar building is very "organic".

Since I was a young child, I've embraced and understood the idea that my Creator created me to be a creative being...and I find great pleasure in being able to appreciate the beauty found in the world around me. I look at nature, from the microscopic to the workings of our Solar System...and beyond, and I can't help but understand that there is "Intelligent Design" behind it all.

I bring this up only to offer perspective for what I'm about to say: Your sense of design and your eye for combining color and textural elements resonates strongly with my personal rhythms. I'm fascinated by your ability to create a final form that fits right into the natural, beautiful world around me...an "organic" form with "intelligent design" behind its creation.

Thank you for sharing this with us all,
Joel Teel
Thank you for your heartfelt comments. It's my goal to have design and function "breathe" in my guitars. I'm glad you've found some of that in my work.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 AM

The last dozen or so guitars I've built have had lattice backs. I thought the super stiff frames I've been using would benefit from a looser bracing pattern so I went with ladder bracing on this one. You can see the feathering of the braces so that no brace in the lower bout intersects with the rim. This prevents stress concentration and opens up the back for a more unified response with the top. One way to think of the back plate of the guitar is to imagine it as a plate reverb unit. At lower frequencies the back operates like a passive radiator, enhancing the bass frequencies. In the upper registers there's a certain amount of delay in response to the the vibrations of the top, adding sustain and a 'wetting" of the tone, which is why rosewoods are so famous for their "reverby" quality. Freeing up the backs motion should give that rosewood quality, while retaing the woody warmth of the Tasmanian blackwood.

On my top bracing I've used a parabolic profiled X brace that is quite tall and thin, and yet retains a good gluing surface. Very stiff and light. This is the first guitar where I've extended the asymmetric lower tone lattice onto the bridge plate. That design feature makes a lot of sense to me, and though changing my brace design on both top and bottom breaks with my rule of only changing one thing at a time to judge its influence, I'm confident both will help make this guitar even more responsive.

Last edited by Glenn23; 07-10-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Very cool stuff Glenn
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM

I'm enjoying this thread a lot. Thanks Glenn!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop