The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Default They are not indestructible

So this is what happens when you have a bunch of folk camping, and drinking till the wee hours while passing around songs all night, then someone decides that they need to move the car......don't ask

The good part is it will be covered by insurance ( a good chunk of it)
The bad part is GAS all over again.

As much as I loved the sound I might look for something that has a bit more volume to keep up in big jams

[IMG][/IMG]
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 PM

Default Ouch!

That might be a tough one to sell ....
Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM

That'll buff right out.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Double post.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Wow, that hurts. Send it to Journey and maybe they can mod it.

Something similar happened to me back in '08, but not at a gathering and not with a CF guitar. While vacationing, my '06 Baby Taylor got crushed by a convertible top going into the trunk (my wife inadvertently placed it in the wrong part). It was a blessing in disguise because I had been lusting over the newly released at the time CA Cargo. I didn't think to make an insurance claim, but despite the higher cost of the Cargo, I immediately bought one and still love it. It's unfortunate that your RainSong got destroyed, but there's a NGD soon in your future, likely one that you'll love even more.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 PM

Holly cow!! I need more pics, have to see the full extent of that damage.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 PM

Oh man that hurts. !

Here is the deal though, as much as I love CF guitars, they are replaceable. If a wooden vintage suffered that same fate at my expense I would have to figure out how to post my rants from a prison yard.

All jokes aside, good luck in finding your replacement.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:14 AM

That looks painful! Hope you find another guitar soon. Always fun shopping for new guitars!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 AM

So sorry for the damage, but I am glad that you are insured. By the way, you saiy in your post that your next guitar should have more volume than the Blackbird Lucky 13. Which guitar are you looking for ?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Ouch! But now we know it takes being run over by a car to inflict fatal damage. Take several good pictures and send them to Blackbird. If there is any chance of repair, the builder would know. I would not hold out much hope, but it's worth asking.

Steelvibe hit on something important: one nice thing about CF guitars is that they come out of the same mold (literally) and are repeatable. During my shopping experience 15 years ago for our WS-1000, we played four identical examples at the same time. The choice came down to extremely subtle visual differences in the CF layup and playability / setup differences. But all four sounded exactly the same.

If you want something a bit louder than L13, then consider a Rainsong, or maybe Blackbird's eKoa El Capitan. My WS-1000 is almost too loud, and in many living room jam sessions I am deliberately backing off a bit. The Jumbo's are even louder. But I don't play shyly.....
Old 08-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
So sorry for the damage, but I am glad that you are insured. By the way, you saiy in your post that your next guitar should have more volume than the Blackbird Lucky 13. Which guitar are you looking for ?
Not sure yet. I have to do a little more research and as much sampling as possible. I really liked the sound of the lucky 13, so I already reached out to Joe at Blackbird to see if he could do the Super OM with a traditional Sound hole. Other options are CA Dread or perhaps a Rainsong Dread. My Rainsong Hybrid has nice volume but I am just not bonding with sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
That looks painful! Hope you find another guitar soon. Always fun shopping for new guitars!
Yep, It kind-a sucks, but in the big picture, life if good. I got a women who loves me, a decent job and place to live, and a couple of nice guitars
And the shopping could be fun. I am in no rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Oh man that hurts. !
Here is the deal though, as much as I love CF guitars, they are replaceable. If a wooden vintage suffered that same fate at my expense I would have to figure out how to post my rants from a prison yard.
All jokes aside, good luck in finding your replacement.
Absolutely!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
That'll buff right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
That might be a tough one to sell ....
Ha, The MISI Preamp still works as well as the tuning machines are nice. So I will salvage them for parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
It's unfortunate that your RainSong got destroyed, but there's a NGD soon in your future, likely one that you'll love even more.
I wish it was the Rainsong. The damage was done to my Blackbird Lucky 13. As mentioned above, I was not bonding with the Hybrid Rainsong. The Shorty APLE looks and sounds intriguing in the vids. Not sure it would have the volume and projection I want. I often take part in multi guitar jams and song swaps. I would like something that can hold its own (My Furch, D-18, and HD-28 can handle any kinda of jam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Holly cow!! I need more pics, have to see the full extent of that damage.
As per your request: Surprisingly, the back and sides held up well.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I wish it was the Rainsong. The damage was done to my Blackbird Lucky 13. As mentioned above, I was not bonding with the Hybrid Rainsong. The Shorty APLE looks and sounds intriguing in the vids. Not sure it would have the volume and projection I want. I often take part in multi guitar jams and song swaps. I would like something that can hold its own (My Furch, D-18, and HD-28 can handle any kinda of jam).
Whoops, not sure why I typed RainSong because I recall noting the guitar is a Blackbird. Musta had a brain fart.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
My Rainsong Hybrid has nice volume but I am just not bonding with sound.
What don't you like about it?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Guest 928

Save the tuners.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Hi Matthew,
Wow! So sorry to see your Lucky 13 in pieces!

Have you tried the Super OM? If you'd like to try mine let me know.
Barb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber