The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM

Default AER Colourizer

I've scanned the history threads. Has anybody had much experience e with the Colourizer? Of course TE uses one (actually the Dual Mix now). Does it fatten up the signal both to the amp and to the PA? Would appreciate any comments thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM

I bought one and tried it then sent it back. Not that it's not a good piece of gear. It is very warm and it does an effective job managing tone shaping. I sent it back because it does part of its job by introducing distortion at a particular frequency. At least that's how I understood it. I think it tries to tease our ears into hearing the crisp highs. Overall, it wasn't the right tool box for me.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Vancebo, thanks. Were you playing finger style or strumming or both? What amp did you use with it, or were you working just to a PA? Thanks for this input. I have heard what you are talking about, others saying this. It is an expensive piece for sure.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 PM

Dory, I have a AER Colourizer which works in my opinion fine if not super to give certain guitars a warmer more acoustic amplified sound. I used it with my Taylors. All my guitars are always equiped with K&K Pure mini's and I have an AER Compact 60 amp. At the moment only a Taylor mini remains in my collection. My main guitar is a Lowden now and soon arrives my first custom built Poljakoff. Presently I don't need the Colourizer; the Lowden is so warm amplified and I hope my Poljakoff will have the same character. So my preamp for the moment is my K&K XLR which is just great. If it combines well with my Poljakoff I might consider to sell my Colourizer.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 03-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Adding distortion to a signal is often aurally perceived and then described as adding warmth.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Adding distortion to a signal is often aurally perceived and then described as adding warmth.
You might be right and my perception can certainly be tricked but I would never describe anything I got out of my Colourizer as coming from distortion.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 03-27-2017, 08:40 AM

To clarify. Another forum member explained this to me. In the owners guide in the specs you can see this for yourself. This doesn't work like the Baggs Session necessarily. AER introduces distortion in a narrow frequency to make our ears think we are hearing high end crispness. I believe it is in the Colourizer knob. Instead of boosting a frequency it adds in the distortion. It is done really well. Now, this is not why I returned it. If this info is not true then please somebody correct me.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 03-27-2017, 08:58 AM

I would go for a decent preamp though the AER pocket blender might work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 03-27-2017, 02:16 PM

Dory, for me, a preamp is all about being feature driven. I like things simple. Each situation is different. I want good EQ, most important is having parametric mids. I like having a boost and a mute button. Lastly, I need a tuner. I have a few ways to achieve what I need. I can go with my Baggs Venue and call it a day. There are times I want my Red Eye which is what I prefer if there is a good sound man. It is also very warm like the Colourizer. The other part of it is some things do sound better with you guitar and pickup than others.

To answer your question. I play fingerstyle and strum with a flatpick. I try and get a sound that will be good with both without making on the fly changes.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
You might be right and my perception can certainly be tricked but I would never describe anything I got out of my Colourizer as coming from distortion.
I'll second this, I've done it before when mixing classical piano to add warmth and fullness to the bass and some other frequencies - isolated it sounds horrendous, but amongst the mix, it doesn't remotely resemble the isolated track
Old 04-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
To clarify. Another forum member explained this to me. In the owners guide in the specs you can see this for yourself. This doesn't work like the Baggs Session necessarily. AER introduces distortion in a narrow frequency to make our ears think we are hearing high end crispness. I believe it is in the Colourizer knob. Instead of boosting a frequency it adds in the distortion. It is done really well. Now, this is not why I returned it. If this info is not true then please somebody correct me.
Hi I know this thread has been in neutral for a little while. I really appreciate all these responses. Interesting, "high end crispness" is exactly what I think I am lacking. I have a Maton SRS, it plays beautifully, acosuitcally it sounds good though quiet. It has the AP5 pro pickup system. Plugged in, even through a PA, there is nothing wrong with the sound, but it sounds somewhat thin and boxy to my ears. I play some of TE's stuff. I get it, I don't have his hands or a custom built guitar. I also don't have an AER preamp.....Thanks for all these responses
Old 04-15-2018, 05:03 AM

DoryDavis, what settings are you using on the Maton pickup? To get the TE sound, make sure you have both the pickup and the mic trim controls set on maximum, and also don't be afraid to boost both the bass and treble sliders up quite a bit.

TE told me you need to give it "a little stick" and that the Maton pickup system sounds best when all the controls are basically running at full. I personally don't run the bass and treble sliders at maximum, but I do boost them up a bit. It helps to have one of the Maton soundhole plugs to minimize feedback when you are playing at higher volumes.

The pickup should sound great even without an AER amp or preamp. I usually run mine through an AxeFX II and then into a PA system or FRFR speaker, and the Axe FX has minimal processing, really just a reverb and an EQ block to adjust for what the room or FOH needs.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks Beagle1. What do you run the midrange settings at? I have seen videos of TE where he describes his settings exactly as you say, and that is what I have been doing. It still sounds thin and boxy to me. Of course, I'd say, hey that is the sound you are getting so it is your playing, but unplugged it sounds pretty good. Struggling, but hate to invest in a Colourizer if not going to help. Thanks for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification