The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM

Default Soundhole vs Anthem

I have an Anthem in one guitar, and an M80 in the other. I rarely use a pick, but prefer to fingerpick and finger strum.

I -love- the M80, although the bass is a bit weak so I EQ it a bit. But it's aggressive enough to give my finger strumming some attack... and yet the body sensing still gives it some warmth that most magnetics don't have.

I have used the Anthem for a long time and thought I liked it until I started using the M80... now the Anthem sounds a bit dull. More or less mic doesn't really give it any more aggressiveness.

Anyone else relate? Am I missing something? I have a K&K wired into the Anthem that I never use. I'm tempted to pair the M80 with the K&K... that could be fun.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM

My guess is you probably like the "beefiness" of the M-80.
The Anthem design is Baggs' attempt to re-create the "voice" of a guitar only amplified. I can EQ my Anthem SL and make it very bassy with my Fishman Platinum Pro to the point of being ridiculous on all three of my guitars with that pickup in them. Maybe your EQ device is insufficient??

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM

I have an Empress ParaEQ. I like it better than the Venue because it has an on/off switch, and the Qs are selectable.

So how could I EQ the Anthem to give it a more aggressive tone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM

I am not familiar with this particular EQ device. I did look at it to see what it does. It appears to be intended for electric guitars.The video they have demonstrates using it to alter the mix in a recording scenario with electric guitars.
I own an EQ for electric guitars that basically does some of the same things the Empress does.I tried using it on my acoustics and it was mehh, so I bought a Fishman Platinum Pro
The Platinum Pro is not the same as the Baggs Venue product which has a much more subtle effect, that's why I didn't buy it.
If you want to "beef up" your tone you can also start by tapering off on the Anthem Microphone and adding more UST. You mentioned you tried that but I repeated it because it worked for me.
It's what I do and then I dial in my Platinum Pro to get more or less "punch". It works very well as I am able to tailor the frequency ranges and make a thinner sound or a rounder one if I want. It's pretty straightforward and easy. The Platinum Pro is designed specifically for acoustic guitars. It also doubles as a D.I. and has a built-in tuner. When the tuner is engaged the EQ/ D.I. is "off". I use it onstage to tweak my tone when I don't like what the guy running the board is doing to me.
Could be a soundhole pickup is just "your cup of tea".

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-20-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM

PEQ... is PEQ. Doesn't matter whether it's guitar, bass, mandolin, etc. Units specifically made for acoustic guitar have a fixed frequency. But there should be no difference between the Platinum Pro or Venue or ParaEQ (I've owned them all). But the Venue and PP can't be turned OFF without muting it, that's why I like the ParaEQ... it's more like a pedal that you turn on and off.

Good point about shading it more toward the UST, I'll try that.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
PEQ... is PEQ. Doesn't matter whether it's guitar, bass, mandolin, etc. Units specifically made for acoustic guitar have a fixed frequency. But there should be no difference between the Platinum Pro or Venue or ParaEQ (I've owned them all). But the Venue and PP can't be turned OFF without muting it, that's why I like the ParaEQ... it's more like a pedal that you turn on and off.

Good point about shading it more toward the UST, I'll try that.

I learned something today. Good luck with what you are trying. Let us know if it helps.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2017, 01:56 PM

One thing to be aware of with the M80 is the magnetic properties of the strings. For some reason, Elixers have a pretty low output over a magnetic pickup. Switching to coated D'Adderios will give you more of the magnetic component to the sound which personally like. The D'Adderios squeak a lot more though and I'm not as fond of the coating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing to be aware of with the M80 is the magnetic properties of the strings. For some reason, Elixers have a pretty low output over a magnetic pickup. Switching to coated D'Adderios will give you more of the magnetic component to the sound which personally like. The D'Adderios squeak a lot more though and I'm not as fond of the coating.
Well that's interesting, never would have thought strings would be that much different... both in volume and squeak! Any ideas on Martin Cleartone strings?

I think I use D'Addarios most of the time, I'll have to check.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM

Any coated string will "interfere" with the magnets.
To what degree is above my pay grade.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Any coated string will "interfere" with the magnets.
To what degree is above my pay grade.
I am no expert, but I disagree. The coating is non-magnetic, so the magnetism should pass right through it.

It would be easier for me to believe coating influences the vibrated sound more than I'd believe coating affects the magnetic pickup. And even that I think is in the noise.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Back to earlier comments, I have an M80 and K&K pm pickups in my 2012 LTD cocobolo 814 and each pickup sounds extremely good - both together are truly impressive. I removed the Expression system and have two outputs from the guitar where the original expression system output/strap pin was located.
I can use them individually or together (with two cables- then mixed in a RedEye Twin).
Great combination with the warmth and thickness of the K&K and the string articulation of the M80.
I have a similar setup with a Sunrise and K&K in my 914 as well, but wired in stereo.
Davidc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification