The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Default moving bridge on tele kit

took my tele kit build for a set up, intonation is where it should be now, but i think thats all they do including a truss rod adjustment and stuff like that, the neck nut wasnt filed, maybe it didnt need it, i dunno, but i did notice when i installed the bridge it was off center like, 1/64 on an inch, very very small, but i can tell, i was wondering if i use a feeler gauge and move it sideways just a hair, if that will effect intonation? id leave well enough alone but its really bothering me- TIA
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Smash it into the floor and walls a few times just for fun . It is now ready to be played .
Tele and tank have the same number of letters for a good reason .
Enjoy your build and quit obsessing .
Old 03-09-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
took my tele kit build for a set up, intonation is where it should be now, but i think thats all they do including a truss rod adjustment and stuff like that, the neck nut wasnt filed, maybe it didnt need it, i dunno, but i did notice when i installed the bridge it was off center like, 1/64 on an inch, very very small, but i can tell, i was wondering if i use a feeler gauge and move it sideways just a hair, if that will effect intonation? id leave well enough alone but its really bothering me- TIA
Why would you use a feeler gauge to move a bridge sideways...??

I just did a final setup on a client's tele kit. The neck did not fit in the pocket at correct angle, giving the appearance that the bridge was off centre. Some shims in the neck pocket to correct neck angle (both vertically and horizontally) did the trick.

So, you should likely be able to do any needed corrections by adjusting the neck angle - either horizontally, vertically, or both.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-09-2017, 11:13 AM

What Ned said. Honestly, with a kit body drilled and routed by CNC, the bridge mounting holes are more likely than not to be in the right place. A tiny shim in the neck pocket changes the angle that little bit to get the strings equally spaced over the neck, and that is as good as you need. You don't need to worry about .016" - it's made of wood, after all. Enjoy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair