The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at the Highlander installation instructions on their website. As Steve said, the pickup should not be bent at a hard 90 degree angle on the ends.
John.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGrath View Post
I'd suggest taking a look at the Highlander installation instructions on their website. As Steve said, the pickup should not be bent at a hard 90 degree angle on the ends.
John.
Well.. I took a closer look this morning.

1) there is a slot or groove cut in the bottom of bridge for the pickup wire. I am not sure if that is stock or done when installed. But it is there and I "seated" the wire in cleanly.

2) The battery was OK

3) I read the instructions from Highlander. It did explain how to properly string the instrument by doing the 4th and 3rd strings first...while applying pressure to saddle and backward away from the sound hole. I tried my best to do it right....

4) But the part about the pickup not supposed to be bent at hard 90 degree angle. That seems to be an issue. Seems the hole is not drilled right?

Tested ...plugged into powered PA speaker .. No effects. The high 3 strings sound bright clear and loud. Low E, A and D ,, barely audible. No Bass. Unless I turn volume up. Then it's still very low volume and not full.

May need to take to pro for look.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Someone earlier in this thread pointed out that the installation could be faulty, causing the tone "imbalance".

Fair enough... I jumped to conclusions.

Reality is... We do not know just by the OP's words if the pickup is working 100% properly and simply "is what it is", or if it is installed improperly and is not performing 100%.

Mirwa (Steve) repeated what I first stated - UST pickups do not sound great. Why...?? Because any guitar with a UST sounds pretty much the same when amplified due to the fact that a UST by-passes the guitar soundboard's effect, and pulls vibrations from string to saddle to UST. Hence their "hot" attack without much "woody" quality to their sound. These pickups are good for performing in loud settings because they are fairly low for feedback. But throw a UST in 5 different quality guitars and they'll all sound pretty much like a Takamine when amplified.

So, back to the OP... Can't say for sure whether your pickup install is faulty or not. You COULD be describing a faulty install or you COULD be describing the nature of a UST pickup.

And as long as there is enough depth to seat the saddle properly, the bottom of the saddle slot does NOT need to be re-routed.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 AM

We all know it is not easy to diagnose problems via the message board/internet. I am glad I came here for some input... Was cool to find the brand of pickup and some trouble shooting things to look for. As well as the differences between the various types of pickups. I certainly want to retain the character of my Gibson when plugged in.

Good news.. I checked Highlander's website and found an Authorized Luthier here in town... He lives about 15 minutes from me. I will be meeting with him later today for evaluation.

Last edited by JakeStone; 03-02-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 AM

I would slot the bridge pin holes and use unslotted pins to prevent further bridge plate damamge.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Follow up to my last post..

Just dropped off the Gibson to my local Luthier.. I checked out the exact same pickup that he had installed in his guitar. It sounded similar .. although a little more balanced then mine. So I decided to remove the existing pickup all together.

He's removing the old one and going to fabricate a new bone saddle... plus tweak everything to perfection.

I will probably have him add a K&K Pure Mini soon.

(Anyone wanna buy a slightly used Highlander iP-2?)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Follow up to my last post..

Just dropped off the Gibson to my local Luthier.. I checked out the exact same pickup that he had installed in his guitar. It sounded similar .. although a little more balanced then mine. So I decided to remove the existing pickup all together.

He's removing the old one and going to fabricate a new bone saddle... plus tweak everything to perfection.

I will probably have him add a K&K Pure Mini soon.

(Anyone wanna buy a slightly used Highlander iP-2?)
Well done!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Well done!!
Ned .. He echo'd what you had said earlier. We tested it together in his room. He said the pickup sounds "Plinky" (his words) and it's the nature of that kind of under saddle pickup.

We discussed my playing style and goal for the guitar...

When I told him I was thinking of a K&K he smiled and said... That's what I would do.

I decided to have him remove it..... He also removed all the velcro from inside. So there is no "evidence" of the old pickup. Having him make a new saddle was a no brainer... since the old one had been altered to work with the under saddle pickup. Plus it wasn't really shaped (top radius) properly.

The only thing he said... was that the K&K may not fit on the existing wood underneath the bridge inside.. He said he may have to extend the bridge underneath to provide adequate room for the K&K 3 elements. But he wasn't 100% sure until we tried it...

Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 PM

There shouldn't need to be any modification to fit a K&K.

Again, I'll suggest you look at the Schatten passive pickup. (I am NOT a Schatten salesperson... ;-)

It can be installed with putty or CA glue.

https://www.amazon.com/Schatten-Pass.../dp/B002MVPPH8

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-03-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
There shouldn't need to be any modification to fit a K&K.

Again, I'll suggest you look at the Schatten passive pickup. (I am NOT a Schatten salesperson... ;-)

It can be installed with putty or CA glue.

https://www.amazon.com/Schatten-Pass.../dp/B002MVPPH8
Thanks Ned... I think you are right and there is no need for modification .. Seems by looking at my photo that there is room for the 3 transducers.

As for the Schatten .. I'll have a look .. However I am pleased with the K&K in my other guitars and will prob stay with what I am used to. I can install myself.

I'm glad I had a new saddle made and it is now set-up to proper spec... I love the action .. just a tiny tad under what Gibson recommends.

Ok! All good for now!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Last edited by JakeStone; 03-08-2017 at 05:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair