The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Default Machine head buzzing

I have a weird buzzing coming from my machine heads. It might be from multiple different ones, I can't narrow it down. The D string open when strummed hard makes it sound the most, but I don't think that's necessarily the machine head that's buzzing, or not the only one. When I hold that machine head, it doesn't help more than anything else I do, and it sounds like other tuners are buzzing if I do.

Everything feels tight and looks tight though, so I don't get it. Could it be the gearing inside the machine heads?

How can I fix this?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Recent Martin?
Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 AM

Does it only buzz when the D string is open? If so, it actually might be that the nut slot isn't cut with enough break.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
Does it only buzz when the D string is open? If so, it actually might be that the nut slot isn't cut with enough break.
I see. Why would that make a difference? What is it that would be sort of rattling or whatever in that case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Recent Martin?
I wish, lol.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 AM

IF the buzz is clearly at the peghead, take a hike over here to FRETS.COM and start with this page for some quick diagnostic ideas:

Buzzing at Peghead

Frank Ford
Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
IF the buzz is clearly at the peghead, take a hike over here to FRETS.COM and start with this page for some quick diagnostic ideas:

Buzzing at Peghead
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM

I had a similar buzz that drove my tech crazy. I took it to a shop to get a set of tuners and the tech there said it had a bad bushing in 1 tuner. Fixed it for a few dollars. No problems since then. Hopefully yours is something simple too. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=Monk of Funk;5252298]I see. Why would that make a difference? What is it that would be sort of rattling or whatever in that case?

When a nut slot isn't cut with enough angle, the string might not seat well enough. This will give you a "fuzzy" kind of a buzz. Maybe not the rattle that you're describing. I have had some guitars come in that had a rattle at a certain frequency. It sounded like the problem was generated at the peghead, but actually was the truss rod. If you find that a tuner isn't the culprit, you might want to check the truss rod.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:25 PM

One of the nastiest rattles I ever had to chase down was a loose tuner button.

Mute all of them but one, try to induce the rattle, re-mute, and go on to the next and so on.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=mb propsom;5255045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk of Funk View Post
I see. Why would that make a difference? What is it that would be sort of rattling or whatever in that case?

When a nut slot isn't cut with enough angle, the string might not seat well enough. This will give you a "fuzzy" kind of a buzz. Maybe not the rattle that you're describing. I have had some guitars come in that had a rattle at a certain frequency. It sounded like the problem was generated at the peghead, but actually was the truss rod. If you find that a tuner isn't the culprit, you might want to check the truss rod.
What could it be with the truss rod that would be rattling? Too loose? too tight? Broken?

By truss rod tightens from inside the body, not up at the head of the guitar, if that makes any difference. What could I do to check if it is the truss rod or not?
Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
One of the nastiest rattles I ever had to chase down was a loose tuner button.

Mute all of them but one, try to induce the rattle, re-mute, and go on to the next and so on.
Ya, I can't figure it out that way. I don't seem to be able to isolate it by touching the tuners. They all seem to dampen it equally well/badly.

Maybe it's the truss rod, as suggested earlier.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM

The fittings at the base of the tuning posts often loosen. Check to see if that's the case. Adding a washer will help keep them from coming loose in the future.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Musical minimalist

Check to make sure the windings of a particular string on a tuner post isn't getting too close to a string passing by......this is something I've seen quite a bit.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:12 AM

I too would think of the truss rod!

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 03-05-2017, 10:50 PM

By truss rod tightens from inside the body, not up at the head of the guitar, if that makes any difference. What could I do to check if it is the truss rod or not?[/QUOTE]

A truss rod with through the sound hole adjustment can rattle just like one with peghead adjustment. It could be several factors, depending on if it's a single or double action rod. One test is to give the back of the neck a sharp rap with one of your knuckles. If you hear a (very short) rattle, it could very well be the rod.

If you are hearing the rattle, it could be a loose truss rod. Take the tension off the strings, and, try giving the adjustment nut maybe 1/4 clockwise turn. If it does turn easily, turn until it's somewhat snug, then retune and give the guitar a test run.

By the way, how long had you owned this instrument before the problem cropped up?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair