The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 PM

Default best amp for carbon guitars

I have a church gig coming up. 20 some years ago I used to play through my roland jazz chorus as a monitor and hooked into a PA but that isn't an option here. I was planning to do the service with my daughter base amp for my composite acoustic but was wondering if I would be better served getting a dedicated acoustic amp and wondering what everybody is using.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 PM

Strictly an at-home player here, but I play my carbon fiber acoustics through a Boss Katana 100 1x12.

The Kat has a dedicated acoustic preamp built-in (not an acoustic simulator but a separate preamp section for plugging in an acoustic guitar). I also play a carbon fiber electric guitar -- Composite Acoustics Blade from 2009 (pre Peavy) -- so I wanted an amp that handles electric guitars as well as acoustics. The Katana works well for me on both fronts; it's very, very versatile and surprisingly affordable as amps go.

Boss also has a 50W version of the Katana that sells for about $200. Both models can be scaled back power-wise to 1/2W without losing much if any character.

-Res

Rainsong Shorty
Rainsong Parlor P12
Journey OF660
Composite Acoustics Blade
Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Strats, etc.

Last edited by Res Ipsa; 02-13-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:15 AM

I use the Fishman loudbox amps.
The performer, the artist, and the mini.
I like the clean rich sound delivered for guitar and vocals.
On larger venues I uses all three, with the mini being the monitor.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM

I have a Bugera AC60 (AER Compact 60 clone) as my repair bench amp and I am very impressed. Right now 15% off at MF bringing it down to <$210! It also adds a standard speaker stand mount, tilt leg, AUX input, and phantom power switch to the AER feature set. I've not tried it out of the basement.

For gigs I use a Yamaha DBR10 (23 lbs, 380 watts RMS). Almost any small PA speaker will sound great and you've likely already got plenty of EQ and volume controls somewhere else in your signal chain.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Guest 928

I like the portable amps, the Pignose, the Crate, the Roland AC33, and the Carvin. For about 10 years I went with the Crate until I ran across the Roland AC 33. The primary difference is weight--the Crate weighs in at 40 pounds, the Roland is about 10 pounds. The Crate has more power, but I think the Roland has better sound.

The Roland is billed as an acoustic amp and it has worked well with my various cf guitars. What I like best about the Roland is its vocal transmission. The amp has a number of effects and a loop feature. It's driven at 30 watts.

The amp runs on 110 or on batteries. The only thing I do not like about it is that you have to remove the batteries to charge. On the old MacNichol forum a member explained how to wire in a charger so that the batteries did not need to be removed, a solution that has worked well for the past five years.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM

Any decent acoustic amp... Roland AC series, Fender Acoustasonic, Marshall AC, Fishman Loudbox or Soloamp (Fishman is my first choice "bang for the buck")... how much can you spend?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:25 PM

I was looking at a loudmouth. its about $800. I know is can play big. but can it play small for smaller venues also?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber