The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Maybe heresy... But a friend just showed me his new Taylor 150e and that gig bag looks pretty nice and straddles the too flimsy and too bulky middle ground nicely. I suppose the logo is a problem for some.
When I got the Access bag for the Shorty, I was really looking for something comparable to the GSmini gig bag, but sized for a Grand Concert. For the record, Taylor makes nice guitars to go with their gig bags.

I heard in an interview with Bob Taylor with Fretboard Journal that he (Bob Taylor) would not make a guitar that wasn't wood. Ohh... I'm getting off topic here, huh?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
...I heard in an interview with Bob Taylor with Fretboard Journal that he (Bob Taylor) would not make a guitar that wasn't wood. Ohh... I'm getting off topic here, huh?
I asked Bob about CF back in 2009, and he definitely wasn't interested, but there might be more to it than what he likes to work with. I once discussed CF guitars in my store with the head of design for a another builder of wood guitars, who told me they actually looked in to working with CF. Although he and his boss were open to the idea of building CF guitars, he told me that a Rainsong with their name on the headstock would have to sell for over $4000, and that was what was holding them back.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I asked Bob about CF back in 2009, and he definitely wasn't interested, but there might be more to it than what he likes to work with. I once discussed CF guitars in my store with the head of design for a another builder of wood guitars, who told me they actually looked in to working with CF. Although he and his boss were open to the idea of building CF guitars, he told me that a Rainsong with their name on the headstock would have to sell for over $4000, and that was what was holding them back.
I remember you saying that a while back, Ted. The builders who are already dealing with CF have an up on anyone new looking to enter that market. You are in a unique position with the impressive inventory you have in both wood and CF. Any issue going back and forth for you?

To bring this back to the gig bag discussion, after I bought the Shorty from you, I thought a Taylor gig bag would be a good solution... and found out at that time (may be different now), they didn't offer a gig bag for the Grand Concert size guitars. That search led me to Access, and finding out that they originally made the GSmini gig bag for Taylor. I can see where some might question a gig bag for a nice wood guitar... but it seems like a natural for CF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber