The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 PM

My first question would be, "Why do you need to know?" If they were on the guitar when you purchased it second hand, they wouldn't have been all that new/great to start with. Just get some new strings and, like most of us, keep trying different ones until you find some that you love.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Guest 2143

Thanks for all for the replies. I cannot ask the previous owner of the guitar which strings they are. The main reason I wanted to know what strings are on it is that it would help me decide what to get for my next set.

Like M19 said earlier in this thread, I think the way the strings are tucked in behind the bridge indicates that they are original. I will never know, but it is my best guess and I will get my next strings with this possibility in mind.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:07 PM

I agree with LSemmens, that unless you really like them, I would not worry about it, but would get what the company suggests for that guitar, see if you like them. If not, the search is on.
Might be a lot of effort for just the satisfaction of knowing. You may find other string types that suit you better.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Guest 2143

I do like the strings on it, but I have little experience with classical guitar strings. When the time comes, I will likely try a new set of Savarez 500CJ strings, which came on the guitar and are possibly what I have on it now.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a very nice, resonant, clear tone, Cordoba C10 parlor classical a month ago. These are amazingly nice looking, playing, sounding nylon guitars for the cost.

neck shape is excellent.

d
Old 02-09-2017, 12:06 AM

I agree with LSemmens. Why should it matter what old strings came with the used Cordoba? Trying different strings is part of the fun and education of a guitarist. Heh. Heh. There is no real need to stick to factory originals, assuming that they are factory originals.

Suggestion: try the Augustine Black Imperial or Red Imperial. Great strings at a reasonable cost. Aquila Alabastro Normal Tension. Aquila Granato Flamenco strings work very well for the crossover nylon genre.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Mr Moustache, you pointed out the type of strings that are used at the factory. The poster indicated he bought the guitar used - therefore, doesn't really know if it's those strings or if they have been replaced with something else.
A good place for him to start though, don't you think, as he (the poster) knows little or nothing about nylon strings.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
Fun project.

Maybe start replacing the strings one set at a time until you find the maker/tension level/composite material that feels, sounds and plays the closest to what is on there now. Don't forget to document the sets as you go and also make recordings so as to be able to compare "original" set to set #2 to set #30, etc.
Wouldn't this be very time consuming and expensive and leave you with a bunch of strings that you would have no use for?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Wouldn't this be very time consuming and expensive and leave you with a bunch of strings that you would have no use for?
Depends upon how much you play, I only ever had a set of classical strings last a couple of months before I would literally wear them out when I was learning. Time is on your side, and replacing strings is a given on any guitar.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Guest 2143

Thanks for all of the replies. I still think there is a good chance the strings that came on the guitar were Savarez 500CJ but, as I said earlier, I will never know for sure. I have since replaced them with D'addario EJ 44 SP and it sounds like someone put a wet blanket over the guitar. The intonation is really good, but that is about it. The guitar sounds very dull by comparison to the very well-used strings I took off it. I might try a Savarez 500CJ set next.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical