The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Default Wood combinations

Upon deciding to get a cedar guitar, it seemed obvious to go with rosewood for the back/sides, as I prefer rosewood with Spruce tops. When I started playing and listening to clips of cedar with mahogany, (much to my surprise) I started liking that combination more than cedar with rosewood. I love Sitka/Rosewood for harder strumming and picking, but I seem to like cedar/mahogany for softer, folkier stuff.

I'm fascinated by all the different woods and combinations. I'd love to know what your favorite combinations are, and what style of music (playing style and genre) you like it for.
A few Telecasters
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

On most guitars, I dislike the combination of Cedar and Rosewood. It just usually ends up lacking clarity to me. The only builder I can think of whose Cedar/Rosewood guitars I've often enjoyed is Jim Olson. To me, cedar and mahogany is a match made in heaven.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesop View Post
Upon deciding to get a cedar guitar, it seemed obvious to go with rosewood for the back/sides, as I prefer rosewood with Spruce tops. When I started playing and listening to clips of cedar with mahogany, (much to my surprise) I started liking that combination more than cedar with rosewood.
Hi Sesop...

It's all about the builder. I love my Olson EIR/Cedar, and I love the Taylor 714ce which is also EIR/Cedar.

Michael Bashkin has built three pretty amazing Honduran Mahogany/Cedar guitars in the past couple of years. I also played a Mahogany/Redwood small bodied creation of his that was arresting. It shouldn't have been as good as it was (kidding).

I played on of Don Sharp's Rosewood/Cedar that was a great guitar too.

It really depends on who built it. Did I say that before?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
To me, cedar and mahogany is a match made in heaven.
Amen Brian! I too love this combo and chose it carefully for my BTO Goodall CJ. However, I do like the eir/cedar for my small Avalon Concert due in part to that I think eir lends itself and balances nicely to this particular guitars' bracing and smaller dimensions. For my larger Lowden workhorse eir/sitka is very clear and versitile, but mostly due to the builder I would say in most cases.

noledog
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the replies! What genre of music do you like to play/which style on cedar/hog?
A few Telecasters
Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Upon deciding to get a cedar guitar, it seemed obvious to go with rosewood for the back/sides, as I prefer rosewood with Spruce tops. When I started playing and listening to clips of cedar with mahogany, (much to my surprise) I started liking that combination more than cedar with rosewood. I love Sitka/Rosewood for harder strumming and picking, but I seem to like cedar/mahogany for softer, folkier stuff.

I'm fascinated by all the different woods and combinations. I'd love to know what your favorite combinations are, and what style of music (playing style and genre) you like it for.
Don't forget to try cedar / koa and cedar or sinker with cocobolo and a walnut.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I really love the sound of my Cedar/Hog 12 fret Taylor...GC body. It is mellow but clear and sweet with great sustain...if that makes any sense.
I had a GS7e, which is EIR/Cedar and that was an amazing sounding guitar, just too large for me. (old neck injury). It was much bolder in tone and louder in volume because of the size.

I must admit I prefer the sound of the Cedar/Mahogany.

BTW, I am kinda new at this, so I may be way off with my description of sound/tone.

I like to play (medium strumming and trying to learn finger picking) traditional folk stuff, Prine, Dylan, Eagles, CSNY etc. I am a noob, so in no way proficient, but I am having a blast.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! What genre of music do you like to play/which style on cedar/hog?
Mostly original fingerstyle, although my most recent YT vid cover of Cat Steven's "Oh Very Young" combines both f/s & some strumming on my cedar/hog CJ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lAp...kmAGQIcpgsx45w

noledog
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM

I have to agree with several of the others. I really enjoy the Cedar/Hog combination. I have a Taylor GS5 that really does well with all different styles of play.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM

For some reason, I'm not into rosewood that much. Give me cedar/hog or spruce/hog.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Yup, mahogany/cedar is certainly up there for me with regards to fingerstyle. OTOH I find that I really like Adi with rosewood too for hard strumming. I guess my playing has a split personality.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

....i like others like the cedar/mahogany combination but i have also heard a few cedar/maple guitars that sounded terrific...i think the warmth of the cedar pairs well with the inherent brightness of maple...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Default walnut

My next guitar will very likely be a red cedar / walnut guitar with the leanings towards black walnut. From all I've heard this combination works very well together. There are plenty of postings praising walnut on this forum and many players like topping their walnut guitars with cedar.
For me its also an added bonus to be using woods from around here.
1964 Suzuki #7
Parkwood PW-410 (Sitka Spruce/Australian Blackwood)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Sinker or Carter Estate Redwood and Walnut. Play one if you can.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinc View Post
My next guitar will very likely be a red cedar / walnut guitar with the leanings towards black walnut. From all I've heard this combination works very well together. There are plenty of postings praising walnut on this forum and many players like topping their walnut guitars with cedar.
For me its also an added bonus to be using woods from around here.
I have never seen a guitar combo like this but heard about it! Very interesting!
Does anyone have a sound clip of this combo with a GA body style?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion