The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty much ANY pickup sounds pretty good with gentle finger picking. This video is pretty useless IMO. But I think this is just Baggs version of a K&K style non-invasive pickup that is active. I don't expect this to dethrone the Anthem as the top choice for a gigging musician. It's just a better K&K for a little more money. Nothing to get too excited about.
I don't agree with the "Nothing to get too excited about" logic. What's been the main criticism of SBT style pickups up to this point? With the K&K, it's that the pickup can lack high end, be susceptible to feedback and it requires glue for the install. With the Dazzo, Amulet & Schatten HFN, it was often hit or miss when it came to installation. I know the Amulet has a jig but still, many have reported less than stellar results.

With all that said, if Baggs has created a SBT pickup that rejects feedback as well as a UST, has a nice balanced tone and is super easy to install/remove, then I would argue that, that's very exciting.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I don't agree with the "Nothing to get too excited about" logic. What's been the main criticism of SBT style pickups up to this point? With the K&K, it's that the pickup can lack high end, be susceptible to feedback and it requires glue for the install. With the Dazzo, Amulet & Schatten HFN, it was often hit or miss when it came to installation. I know the Amulet has a jig but still, many have reported less than stellar results.

With all that said, if Baggs has created a SBT pickup that rejects feedback as well as a UST, has a nice balanced tone and is super easy to install/remove, then I would argue that, that's very exciting.

I completely agree. Seems to me (and Aaron made this argument on his YouTube LiveStream yesterday) that L.R. Baggs is once again pioneering into uncharted territory with this pickup, and listening to player feedback too.

I was looking at something totally different but now I’m waiting for this “HiFi” pickup to drop. Might be just the thing to feed into my favorite DI ever (Session).
Old 03-28-2023, 01:30 PM

Add me to the list of people curious about this. Right out of the gate, I don't want soundhole controls or a battery in my guitar. But I am curious how this compares to other SBT pickups I've used like K&K and Shatten HFN. For nearly double the price of the K&K or the passive Schatten, this "HiFi" pickup would have to be much better tonally for me to consider it.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 03-28-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:

It's just that it's not revolutionary or ground breaking. It's an improved K&K that's active. I guess it's a good option for some, but for me I'll stick with my Anthem.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's just that it's not revolutionary or ground breaking. It's an improved K&K that's active. I guess it's a good option for some, but for me I'll stick with my Anthem.
Once I find out all about the new LR Baggs pickup, if it looks like it has legs, I'll likely order one to try.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-28-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The Trance Amulet system is the easiest to install and sounds best (to me anyway) when using Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy. The Amulets are so easy to hold in your fingers when positioning them. Just locate the Amulets per the Trance locations and stick 'em on and hold 'em for a minute or so while the epoxy begins to set up. No clamping is necessary. It's a whole new ballgame with the epoxy. I'm still the only one I know of who has used the epoxy on two guitars so far, a 2020 Martin HD-28 Reimagined, and a 2020 Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emanuel. No regrets on my part.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-28-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think it needs to be ground breaking. A lot of us have just wanted something like this for years. I mean the last real innovation in pickups that I can think of was the Anthem. It's just not everyday that we get pickup options that are new.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Trance Amulet system is the easiest to install and sounds best (to me anyway) when using Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy. The Amulets are so easy to hold in your fingers when positioning them. Just locate the Amulets per the Trance locations and stick 'em on and hold 'em for a minute or so while the epoxy begins to set up. No clamping is necessary. It's a whole new ballgame with the epoxy. I'm still the only one I know of who has used the epoxy on two guitars so far, a 2020 Martin HD-28 Reimagined, and a 2020 Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emanuel. No regrets on my part.
The epoxy does seem to improve the tone, but again, it's using epoxy. I find these days I shy away from any type of epoxy or glue. I want something I can try and rip out if it's not that good.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I am being deliberately challenging, and quiet rightly so.
I'll agree with the first part of your sentence, but not the second. It's good that you've had such positive experiences with a mic, but for many of us this is not a practical solution.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:34 PM

Now that we know some of the details from Aaron, I'd say the proof is in the hearing of the new pickup. That said, I think a bit of excitement is totally justified because LR Baggs has a long history of innovations all the way back to the LB6, Duet, Dual Source, ParaDI, two magnetics that sense the body of the instrument, the Lyric, the Session, two Anthems, and more. That's quite a legacy of helping musicians improve the sound of their amplified instruments. I'm optimistic and can't wait for the reviews and demos.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:06 PM

I'll be NO guinea pig . I was NOT impressed by the short video so far . So I'll wait and see . Plus I don't like batteries, and thumb wheels .
Old 03-28-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
I'll be NO guinea pig . I was NOT impressed by the short video so far . So I'll wait and see . Plus I don't like batteries, and thumb wheels .
I had a Baggs Element with the VTC at the soundhole that started cutting in and out during the first song of a gig. It died completely during the second song so I pulled out my pocket knife and cut the wires and pulled the VTC out of the sound hole.

I left it like that for a few years until I decided to pull the rest of the Element and its preamp and install a K&K Pure Mini. I LOVE not having anything other than the SBT and output jack. Very few times I couldn't plug directly into the DI box going to the PA or directly into my Stage monitor amp.

Is it "just like my guitar"? No, but it's close, and incredibly easy to live with.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The epoxy does seem to improve the tone, but again, it's using epoxy. I find these days I shy away from any type of epoxy or glue. I want something I can try and rip out if it's not that good.
Thanks, Scott, I understand your reasoning. For me, there's no reason to ever take the epoxy-mounted Amulet Trance systems out of my guitars as they sound so good over a PA. If the new LR Baggs system can sound as good as my Trance systems with the transducer(s) being adhesive-stripped in a guitar then that would be a real plus for LR Baggs.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-29-2023 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I don't think it needs to be ground breaking. A lot of us have just wanted something like this for years. I mean the last real innovation in pickups that I can think of was the Anthem. It's just not everyday that we get pickup options that are new.
Not sure why Fishman or Baggs aren't trying to copy the Cole Clark 3 way system?
Old 03-29-2023, 09:49 AM

Hope it’s not another vanishing mystery product like the guitar that Charlie Worsham teased us with.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYZCh...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by guitaniac; 03-29-2023 at 10:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification