The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
Nice group! I love the falcon! keep the sunburst very light and transparent-
That's the idea! I've never been a big fan of full-on sunburst treatments, but I saw some subtly shaded guitars by a builder whose name I don't remember at Healdsburg '09, and they were just gorgeous. That's what I'm trying to do with the Falcon--the color coats go on after the first four coats of clear, and then top coats of clear over that. I absolutely do not want to obscure any wood figure, just accentuate it.
However, this will be my first attempt at a shaded finish. I've finished fifty-plus guitars at this point, and my spray gun control is pretty good. But if I mess it up, plan B will be to go to the local TruValue and pick up a couple cans of matte black Rustoleum to finish the job.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Great looking guitars for sure. Wow on that macassar! Can't wait for our Element to get started!
Ernie! Your Element is already underway! I did the initial prep work three weeks ago, and we are ready to GO! I'll send you an email today to fill you in on details. While lacquer is curing on these three, I'll be getting deeply immersed in your build.
For other folks reading this, Ernie and I have been planning a very unique Performance Cutaway model, with a brand new Florentine cutaway design, and a rosette that uses a Tribal tattoo aesthetic. There will be enough new things about this guitar that it will be a new subspecies of my Performance series. We're calling it the Element.
Talk soon, Ernie...Time to start the engine!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Great work, Steve! I can't wait to see these in person. That bearclaw is spectacular! Super work, as always.

Joel
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
Cool...I can feel the vibes already. Looking forward to seeing Jim and Ernie's builds...BTW, I really liked how the Zephyr turned out. That makes the decision for our next build a lot easier. I'm thinking we go with the Zephyr using the Koa set and sinker top, throw in a cocobolo bevel, bridge, fretboard and accents, add a sound port, and sprinkle with the Edwinson "magic" and voila!
You know, Hen, it never gets old...I already see the guitar you describe in my mind's eye, and I'm already chompin' at the bit to get it started!
It's such a treat to do it this way, where every single guitar is unique, and we're not just stamping out dozens of the same guitar.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Great work, Steve! I can't wait to see these in person. That bearclaw is spectacular! Super work, as always.

Joel
Thanks Joel!
I've been so busy getting these guitars built that I haven't logged on to AGF in several weeks. Once I get started here, it's hard to tear myself away and get some actual work done, y'know? So I'm curious: Have you posted any photos of your Healdsburg guitars? Or are you going to keep us all in suspense until August 10?
Gotta tell you, man, your guitars consistently amaze me for their astonishing elegance of design and function, and I am eager beyond words to see them in person for the first time.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just wanted to ask--I'm new at posting photos to AGF, and I'm wondering if there is some tool to re-size photos. I'm using Photobucket as my photo cache. I've been importing full size files from there, and noticing that it's kind of a pain to have to scroll up and down to see the whole picture. How do I shrink them down a little? Thanks! -Steve
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Hi Steve,

Your three guitars are simply gorgeous - as always. I absolutely love the bevel on the Zephyr. I thought you were doing one with a Madagascar Rosewood back?

BK
Old 07-02-2011, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk314159 View Post
Hi Steve,

Your three guitars are simply gorgeous - as always. I absolutely love the bevel on the Zephyr. I thought you were doing one with a Madagascar Rosewood back?

BK
Hey, Bruce! I finally get to meet you in August, huh? Can't wait!
The MadRose/ Carpathian Zephyr Standard is now living in Tennessee with Mitchell, its owner. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the finished guitar on Photobucket, because my computer has developed a glitch that prevents me from uploading media files or attaching photos to email. Until I can afford to get this bug fixed, I'm borrowing Aaron's shop computer to manage new photos.

However, here are a couple photos of the MadRose Zephyr, in the white:

Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cminor7sus4 View Post
Thanks Joel!
I've been so busy getting these guitars built that I haven't logged on to AGF in several weeks. Once I get started here, it's hard to tear myself away and get some actual work done, y'know? So I'm curious: Have you posted any photos of your Healdsburg guitars? Or are you going to keep us all in suspense until August 10?
Gotta tell you, man, your guitars consistently amaze me for their astonishing elegance of design and function, and I am eager beyond words to see them in person for the first time.
Thanks, amigo! I haven't posted any pics yet, but I will. I have 3 almost done and I'm trying to squeak in a 4th, but I don't know if I'll have it done in time.

Happy 4th of July weekend, everyone!

Joel
Old 07-02-2011, 05:03 PM

I, too, look forward to finally meeting next month.

Your Madagascar Rosewood/Carpathian Zephyr is exquisite. The MRW is to kill for. Sorry to hear about your computer. You know how much I love your photographic work.

See you in a few weeks!

BK
Old 07-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cminor7sus4 View Post
I just wanted to ask--I'm new at posting photos to AGF, and I'm wondering if there is some tool to re-size photos. I'm using Photobucket as my photo cache. I've been importing full size files from there, and noticing that it's kind of a pain to have to scroll up and down to see the whole picture. How do I shrink them down a little? Thanks! -Steve
Steve.... go to *My Albums* on photobucket. Place the mouse cursor on the pic you want to change. You will see a drop down box that says *Share/Edit/Delete/Move* Click on Edit, which will take you to a page where you can resize and do what ever you wish with a pic....Hope this helps

curt
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Steve.... go to *My Albums* on photobucket. Place the mouse cursor on the pic you want to change. You will see a drop down box that says *Share/Edit/Delete/Move* Click on Edit, which will take you to a page where you can resize and do what ever you wish with a pic....Hope this helps

curt
Thanks, Curt! You Rock!
When it comes to computers, I'm sort of like a chimpanzee sitting at a grand piano. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 PM

Sorry Stephen,I just had to give a visual of your last comment ...anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRDk...yer_detailpage
Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
Sorry Stephen,I just had to give a visual of your last comment ...anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRDk...yer_detailpage
Yes, that's almost exactly it! The only difference is, the monkey in the YouTube vid is a lot cuter than I am.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

the Falcon caught my eye IMMEDIATELY, and like the others i'll throw in my voice saying leave it as is. The whole package is awesome.

The other two are dandy looking guits, but that Falcon, to me, is the bomb!

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop