The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Cordoba - Hauser or Torres

My guitar now is in the Rodriguez bracing style with a Double top.
so I'm thinking about one of these guitars Cordoba - Hauser or Torres
does any one here have any thoughts on them
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Between those two, the choice would be easy for me. The Hauser is 650mm and the Torres is 640mm. I'd go with the latter, but the reason is hand injuries that make it difficult for me to play longer-scale guitars. If not for that, it would be a tough choice. Have you checked around to see if you can find videos or sound samples (with the caveat that unless recorded under identical conditions, as at Savage Classical, online sound samples aren't worth much)? You Tube and Savage Classical are two good resources. Keep us posted!
-Bob
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM

Hauser

Hauser

Torres

Torres

The more i hear the Torres the more i want one. so hard to locate a store with one

Last edited by Guitar1083; 06-17-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 AM

What a coincidence! I am going to have a phone conversation concerning the Torres and the Rodriguez model sometime today.
A good (ok, great) classical guitarist is going to help me decide between the two. I will pass the info along to you all later and also let you know whom has offered the help.
I am buying another guitar soon and it will probably be one of the Cordoba Master series guitars.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
My guitar now is in the Rodriguez bracing style with a Double top.
so I'm thinking about one of these guitars Cordoba - Hauser or Torres
does any one here have any thoughts on them
i like the sound of the torres model. i believe it is somewhat undersized (13.5" lower bout), the hauser may also be smaller than a typical classical. however, i find it hard to image paying $3500 for a cordoba guitar, but maybe that's an unfair bias.

in the hill guitar showroom they still have a torres model. it's priced at $5750, however.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 AM

I have just purchased and received a Cordoba Master Series Torres. Like you, I was also trying to decide between the Torres and the Hauser, and I chose the Torres. As you may know, all of these Cordoba Master Series guitars are hard to find anywhere, since they are being built in small numbers, but I happen to know that there is another Torres at Savage Guitars (if it hasn't just been sold).

Last edited by LBrandt; 06-17-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 AM

ΙΜΟ some luthiers and companies are wearing Torres and Hauser names ...and others too.
Customers should be extra careful and not be carried away by some fancy names.
Guitars that are copies of great guitars doesn't mean that are great themselves.
Of course if you like the guitar buy it.
That's the way I see it.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
What a coincidence! I am going to have a phone conversation concerning the Torres and the Rodriguez model sometime today.
A good (ok, great) classical guitarist is going to help me decide between the two. I will pass the info along to you all later and also let you know whom has offered the help.
I am buying another guitar soon and it will probably be one of the Cordoba Master series guitars.
wow thank you so much please keep me posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i like the sound of the torres model. i believe it is somewhat undersized (13.5" lower bout), the hauser may also be smaller than a typical classical. however, i find it hard to image paying $3500 for a cordoba guitar, but maybe that's an unfair bias.

in the hill guitar showroom they still have a torres model. it's priced at $5750, however.
13 1/4 lower bout, but I'm ok with the smaller body... my budget is $2,000+tax so going another $1,500 I'm ok with but another $2,250 on top of the 35 that i can't do. Thank you tho beautiful guitar at hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrandt View Post
I have just purchased and received a Cordoba Master Series Torres. Like you, I was also trying to decide between the Torres and the Hauser, and I chose the Torres. As you may know, all of these Cordoba Master Series guitars are hard to find anywhere, since they are being built in small numbers, but I happen to know that there is another Torres at Savage Guitars (if it hasn't just been sold).
how do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
ΙΜΟ some luthiers and companies are wearing Torres and Hauser names ...and others too.
Customers should be extra careful and not be carried away by some fancy names.
Guitars that are copies of great guitars doesn't mean that are great themselves.
Of course if you like the guitar buy it.
That's the way I see it.
well if it sound goo then thats ok too.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM

To Guitar1083: I like the Torres very much. If you checked the Youtube videos of Tavi Janariu, you've heard him playing the Torres (and the Hauser). I found another website in which he was asked to compare the Torres to the Hauser, and his comment was that he liked them both but connected more with the Torres.

I just got my Torres a week ago, and although they are hard to find, I did manage to find a couple of them, and I bought mine from Savage Guitars.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrandt View Post
To Guitar1083: I like the Torres very much. If you checked the Youtube videos of Tavi Janariu, you've heard him playing the Torres (and the Hauser). I found another website in which he was asked to compare the Torres to the Hauser, and his comment was that he liked them both but connected more with the Torres.

I just got my Torres a week ago, and although they are hard to find, I did manage to find a couple of them, and I bought mine from Savage Guitars.
Thank you so much
Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 AM

And Savage Guitars still has one in stock (at least it's on the website now).
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM

Ok, I had some assistance choosing a Cordoba Master series guitar.
The guitarist was Tavi Ginariu, the one that plays on the Cordoba guitar demos, and he did a wonderful job of describing his impressions of characteristics of these guitars.
FYI: His main guitar is a 60's Ramirez and of the four Cordobas he preferred the Rodriguez, but he also liked the Torres very much and he uses that one for some of his recording.
I have decided on the Torres because of the short scale length. So, now I have to find one. I am about a week or two away from buying so whom ever has them in stock now may not when I am ready.
I am pretty sure anyone here can contact Tavi via FaceBook and he will respond. Thats what I did--he gave me his phone number. Great guy!
Hope this helps.

I need to add this edit for something I forgot to mention....
Tavi also said that he considered the Hauser to be the most versatile of the four.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 06-17-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Well, I found three sources that have a Torres in stock. I bought mine from Rich at Savage Guitars, and he still has one in Stock. The other two sources each had one in stock as of about two weeks ago.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, these Master Series Cordobas are made in the Kenny Hill shop for them. They are not simply expensive Chinese guitars. I have my eye on the Hauser
Martin 000-18
Ibanez AC340opn
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillster View Post
If I'm not mistaken, these Master Series Cordobas are made in the Kenny Hill shop for them. They are not simply expensive Chinese guitars. I have my eye on the Hauser
I think that is basically correct. I was told that they are handmade in Oxnard, California, and my understanding (from discussing it with Cordoba reps) is that there are four luthiers making them. I don't know whether it's the Kenny Hill shop, but my understanding is that Kenny Hill is a consultant on the project.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical